1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Product Review: Artistry of Wildlife Reflective Eyes

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Cole, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Just wanted to share my experience with these eyes Dennis is offering here in the US. I was asked by the NSTA (Nebraska) to give a coyote mounting seminar a couple months ago and thought it would be a neat time to try these new eyes. They are a little different than the Russian eyes in that they are flat backed and far less expensive. I was impressed before they even went in the manikin. They have beautiful artwork in the iris, very natural veining and great depth. Setting the flat backed eyes was a breeze, no different than the eyes I am used to using. Mounted up they looked great and everyone at the seminar seemed to like the reflectiveness they have. It isn't overpowering, and can only be seen in a very bright room with direct light, or by using a flashlight or camera flash. If there is a negative, it is that they are acrylic and that needs to be considered when mounting and finishing. I thought latex would be a good way to keep them clean while painting, but the solvents in the latex clouded them a bit. A coat of liquid crystal and they were as good as new. Had I done it differently I wouldn't have had to gloss them. I was asked in the seminar (jokingly) if I was going to compete with my bondo eared, plain based, customer coyote that was mounted in a poorly lit hotel meeting room. I thought "Why not?" so I took it first to IA, then KS the last couple weeks. It did well winning BOC at both shows. Both judges were impressed with the eyes and asked where I got them, and wanted the info so they could get their hands on some as well. Here are some pics of that coyote in different lighting showing off the reflectiveness of the eyes. I've got a couple more pairs and can't wait to try them. A pair of fox and bobcat eyes. I will post my results with them as well when I do them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is in normal lighting.

[​IMG]
    This is in direct sunlight (from window) with bright sunshine and snow cover outside.

[​IMG]
    This is in bright camera flash lighting.

2. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Nice!

3. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Very Nice!!!!! Cole... You need to come over to IN and do a seminar for us, AIT...

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Thank you Cole ;D ;D ;D ;D
    I have never had a judge ever NOT like them.
    I am glad you liked them and they were up to your standards,

If anyone wants to try them just PM me or search on Ebay reflective eyes or my website taxidermyeyes.net

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I've used Dennis's eyes as well on a couple bears, customers love em, they look real sweet, I just can't seem to photograph them right.. I got another bear to put a pair in here shortly and a cross fox.. Dennis gave me a few pointers on lighting..

Nice coyote, very soft looking, congrats on the awards,

6. BDrake

BDrake Active Member

the coyote is cool.
    It is pretty neat to see a customers expression when they "discover" the eyes in your showroom for themselves!

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I was at Iowa and saw this mount. I know for fact that many people liked the mount...and its eyes...very well. I also am a big fan of these new eyes. Cole did very well with this. NICE!!

8. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Hope all the "I could win BOC too if I had 100 hours to put into a mount" guys read this one. Great taxidermy is about the thousands of hours honing your craft. Thoses who say they could win if they had more time to work on a show piece are fooling themselves. Great job Cole!

9. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Beautiful mount Cole. I do like the look with the Reflective Eyes.

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't know, if one of those guys showed up they would probably have the BOC, lucky for me they didn't finish on time. LOL

11. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Nice Cole

12. Tony Corleone

Tony Corleone New Member

Nice touch, soft mount and proper locations!

13. Nice specimen too,

14. ShamanCoyote

ShamanCoyote New Member

that is a lovely mount, really superb work. i love the reflective eyes, they really bring the mount "back to life."

15. hunt hard

hunt hard New Member

Ohio
    Very nice Cole.

16. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I thought I would just add to this thread, instead of starting another. Here is a bobcat done with Dennis' non-reflective eyes. For about half of what I'm used to paying, these eyes fit the bill great for this bobcat. This eye would be a fine eye for commercial work, but honestly the quality is there to be considered a competition eye as well.

Attached Files:

17. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Thanks Cole, Here is one I finished this week with the same eyes.

[​IMG]