1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking for turkey pics

Discussion in 'Bird Reference Photos' started by Ozwalt, May 21, 2007.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I have not just one customer, but two customers who want out-of-the-ordinary turkey mounts and also want to see reference photos to make sure I understand what they want. I know I can produce the mounts they want, but they're uncomfortable with just letting me get creative -- it's driving me nuts. One wants a tree limb mount where the bird is just in the process of dropping off his roost, leaning forward, almost defying gravity. The other wants a taking-flight pose where the bird is just leaving the ground, showing off both wings and spurs -- similar to a flushing pheasant pose. They've both described the poses fairly clearly, and when I put it in my own words, they agree with my description. I'd rather not have them in the shop while I'm posing the birds, but if I can't find any decent pics, I may have to go that route. Anyone got anything that sounds close? Thanks.

2. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

I will send you some pics that might help. Need email Addy if have one. Files to large to post and I do not want to downsize mine to fit.

3. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

You're a lifesaver! I'll send you a PM.

4. Gobblingfever

I hope they work. One should.

5. Gobblingfever

Off the post

6. Gobblingfever

See if this works too. I have three more

7. Gobblingfever

rear view

8. Gobblingfever

one more. I hope these work. Got onemore will try to down size.

9. Gobblingfever

I hope these save your life. I have searched and spent many a time for all sorts of photos. Kinda hard to share but this is what we are all about to help one another. As long as it is not local competition. Good luck Buddy. Rob (Gobblingfever)

10. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Awesome Rob. Thanks a ton.

11. Gobblingfever

I hope this is what you were loking for. Glad to help out anytime. Had to downsize one photo but that's ok. Have to show us when you are done. I have an idea for the one flying away from the post. Like to see what you come up with. Best of luck. Get your moneys worth out of them guys!! :)

12. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I really like the fencepost pic, too. If he'll approve it, I'll match it!

Thanks again.

13. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It's neat to see a photo of them doing that wing flapping display. I know they do it fairly often, but it's so quick that it's hard to capture. I also think it would be a better pose for your client than a real takeoff.
    If they are truly intending to take off and fly then they crouch first, jump straight up, raise their wings (still folded) over their backs, open the wings over their backs, and make the first downstroke when they are already a couple of feet above the ground. Their feet are tucked up soon, but they are still mostly extended at that point.
    I've seen it literally hundreds of times, but getting it on film is another matter entirely.

14. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

That taking-flight pose you describe is the pose he's looking for, but he also wants a base mount, meaning I'd have to use some heavy duty wire to get him up in the air a bit. I'd have to hide the wire behind some vegetation or maybe mount him directly to a fencepost, and I'm just not sure the entire thing wouldn't topple over every time you brush by it. I'm hoping he'll go for the old wing flap pose.

15. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

look at pic # 1,does that bird even have a snood?

16. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Sure he does! You can see it right above his beak.
    He's a jake, though, and it's a summer picture (you can tell by the pinfeathers in his primaries) so he is nowhere near breeding condition.
    The snood is shrunken to keep it out of the way while he flies. Turkeys prefer to do that if they have time, although the snood can still be extended if they take off in a panic. It takes several seconds to fully retract the snood and they won't wait around. (If any did, they didn't live long enough to reproduce.)

17. Gobblingfever

It is very pinkish tone as the head but you can see the haired feathers off the end of the snood.

18. dp

dp New Member

great pics dog

19. Bagger99

Bagger99 New Member

great photos with the different pose.

20. Treva

Treva I praise God for the Love of my life Doug

Thanks