1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Prepping a Reproduction

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ranger8292, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

I have only been doing Waterfowl, but I got the Fish Bug.

I have watched Several of Mr. Kranes CD's and I am ready to get started.

The only thing that I really cant find any info on is prepping a Reproduction fish. I noticed quite a price difference in a prepped fish and one you would prep yourself.

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this topic.

Does anybody have any info on this topic?

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Ranger 82,
    The amount of prep. work required to make the blank paint ready, depends on where you buy from.
    The most time consuming part of prepping a blank is finishing the center line seam. (This involves grinding the flashing, filling the seam with sculpt and creating scale detail over the filled seam).
    The blanks I sell have the seams finished complete and the centerline fins attached. All you have to do is set your eyes and attach the lower fins.

3. 1fish2fish

1fish2fish Well-Known Member

Replica prep is as diversified as replica quality. On some you just have to install paired fins, some also need eyes installed, others may also need the centerline seam fixed, some need all fins installed, some need mouth inserts installed, some need gills installed, some you cut the fins out of a flashing pad, some even need the flashing removed from the blank and the mouth and gill slots cut out. And....the amount of prep isn't necessarily analogous to the quality of the replica. On top of that, there are various methods and products for getting a replica prepped, with many opinions on which are the best. Rick Krane usually uses super glue, fin magic, dawn and water (blue water), and epoxy sculpt in his videos, and he talks about some other products in his bonus disks. Some folks like Magic Smooth for seams. A rotary tool Is often handy too.

Don's replica blanks get good reviews, but, to be fair, there are other manufacturers with finished seams too. You'll have to decide if you have limits to what prep you want to handle and find out which companies offer you what you want. Hope that helps.
    Best, Scott

4. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

Well I think that I will go ahead and get a prepped Blank to start with.

Thanks for the info.

Attached Files:

5. Larry_Q

Larry_Q New Member

New Wave has dvd on doing 1 of their blanks call and ask them about it