1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dakota 4 ,,, How to keep bottom pulley Clean,, any ideas ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Galen, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I have a Dakota 4. I have had it for many years . , works good . however does anyone have a trick to keep the shavings from getting stuck on the bottom pulley and making the belt jump and shake? I realize a person can pull the motor off and clean the pulley. But it would be nice if a person could clean it off without having to do all that or make something to keep it clean or what have you . any ideas on this ??

I was thinking of cutting out a trap door on the side to get at it but then I do know if that would be a good idea or not .

--
    Galen Getting
    218-263-7177 Central Time
    www.edgewatertaxidermy.com

2. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

can u post a few pics of top view where blade and pulley meet and any others u might want to add...how bout a piece of sheetmetal that covers the entrance..or even slot it out for the blad..idk...i will be getting my new dakota today and maybe can better help u out after i have a look.

3. verne

verne Well-Known Member

I like my pro ;D

4. Galen

Ya it is a bad set up in a way . Yes it would be great if it was built with the belt sealed off but then I guess I could of bought the Dakota pro. But I don’t think they even had that one when I bought mine . I bought mine about 16 Plus years ago or maybe more.

I guess I will just have to keep doing what I am going .

5. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Re: Re: Dakota 4 ,,, How to keep bottom pulley Clean,, any ideas ?

x2

Droid Baby!!!

Shut up and mount

6. I thought about having my husband weld in a piece to kind of enclose the belt so the shavings couldn't touch it...don't know if that will work lol I have found though that I can take a long pair of pliers and grab the end of the shaving and turn the blade so it comes right out instead of having to take everything apart.

7. It has always been a problem . for the most part I just ignore the shaking and sound , because by the end of the day it will either find its own way out or flatten out and make a small noise , I have a 4 and a 5 , I haven't used the 4 in so long that I don't even think the blade is any good . mark c

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I have a Dakota 5. I assume the 4 & 5 are similar in design. My solution...take a piece of #6 wire about 3 feet long. UNPLUG THE MACHINE! Lift the fender that exposes the blade. With a flashlight in one hand, and the wire in the other, slide the wire down til it touches the top of the bottom pulley. Hold the wire snug against the pulley, a little forward, past center, and manually rotate the blade. The wire will scrape off any shavings stuck to the pulley. I've done this many many times. Beats the socks out of removing the motor each time to clean the pulley.

9. Looking up thru the chute and down into it, it looks to me like something could be placed in there as a guard for the belt....maybe even if it were just a pice on the front to make the shavings go to the left of the belt instead of directly over it.

10. The trick Joey describes is how I get the fleshings out. Preventing them from falling in was solved on the new models. The chute is off to the side and the belt is enclosed on the new one.

It is aggravating to deal with, but I still use them when I have to. Most places I just carry my Reliable with me.

11. Chad C

Chad C Member

I do the same as Joey also. It would drive me nuts if i had to listen to that thing chatter for more than 5 secs.

12. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Joey, I will have to try that, my 5 always gets in the top pulley, not usually the bottom one. I should have bought an advanced fleshing machine from Ron Tillie, its a much better machine!

13. dale65

dale65 Active Member

Im going to cut the side out where the pulley is just high enuff to get to the pulley ive always had that same thing happen and it gets old

14. boneheadz

boneheadz New Member

You should try to cover the area with cardboard and duct tape until you get something that works, then have it made from sheet metal or even better stainless steel and bolt it in. THen patent the idea and sell it so we can all do it.

15. Galen

Let me know how that works out . I was kind of thinking of doing the same thing.

But the long wire trick sounds like that would be something to try as well .

Thanks for the input everyone. And yes it could be a money maker to come up with a good fix for this,,,

16. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

I took a piece of wire and sharpened one end to a point and then put a 90 degree bend around 1/2" from the end. The bottom pulley spins away from you so I turn off the machine, get my wire and stick it through the crack in the right side until its right in the middle of the pulley and turn the machine on for a second or two. Removes any shaving easily and I have never had it get pulled into the belt...not that it couldn't happen though.

17. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I Use oil to keep blade slick and havent had a issue with pulley's getting clogged so far

18. Here is a guard I built for mine , cost free. It solved the problem for me. It took about 45 min to bend ,install and have it back on the bench. I think McKenzie should print them in stainless and offer them as an option for the IV and V.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Great idea dakota..bet it works out slick..will have to try out on mine..should work the same on dakota 5 ..thanks

20. Thats exactly whay I did dakota, havent had a problem since.