1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should I mount the black crow **** NEW PIC *****

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by spikehorn, Mar 26, 2013.

1. spikehorn

spikehorn New Member

My buddy shot this unusual crow and asked me to mount it for him. I suggested that he has to mount it with a black crow to enhance the mount. Hes on the fence with that suggestion. What do you all think ? I think it will just look like a big brown bird unless you have something to compare it to.I also think it will add contrast and balance to the mount, then again maybe it just me. Also a question is this just a color phase or a mutation ?

[​IMG]

Thanks and cheers Don

Number 1 All I came on here for was some friendly advice. Then i was accused of possessing a raven. all the while this individual was telling people that in order to prove it was a crow he would need to see a picture. but was able to tell for certain that it was a raven from the first picture.

[​IMG] people should not jump to conclusions until they have all the facts. thanks to all those with the great advice.

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Re: Should I mount the black crow

I say do both. It will make a nice contrasting piece. Put them in a snow scene or something to play dark over light and enhance them even more.

3. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

I would talk him into mounting both. Definitely would look good in the same scene together. But then its his mount and if he doesnt want it, or isnt willing to pay for your time to mount both then thats really his choice.

4. spikehorn

spikehorn New Member

I never even thought about the snow scene and I'm looking at 3 feet of snow it still in the backyard, Great Idea ! He would like them mounted and he knows hes not paying for them (Good friend that would do me a favor without me asking ). Thanks for the great advice. Has anybody ever seen a brown one before. Its the first one I have ever seen. i've seen several with white on their wings and stuff but never a brown one.

5. Re: Should I mount the black crow

Is that a raven?

6. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Since he is not paying, then do both and make It really worth it. Then again do a whole flock of black birds and the brown in the middle. Just an idea ;D. Good luck!

7. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

Yes that appears to be a (protected species) raven to me too.

"If seen perched in a good look, the huge bill and shaggy throat of a raven are diagnostic.
    Raven wings are shaped differently than are crow wings, with longer primaries."

Attached Files:

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Mounting it with the black one would be great, but if not, it will be a sweet mount by itself. Here's a color mutation crow I mounted several years ago....

[​IMG]

9. spikehorn

spikehorn New Member

I haven't seen it in person yet to determine if it isn't a crow. but if it isn't i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

10. Buckstopper

Buckstopper New Member

When I first saw the picture I thought Raven as well but a closer look indicates these are Crows.

The long central tail feathers are characteristics of Raven but if you look closely you will see that the longer central tail feathers are worn old feathers whereas the outer tail feathers are new fresh feathers. On the brown crow the outer most tail feather on the left side of the tail shows the sheath of a pin feather at the base. On the black crow the tail feathers on the outer right side are shorter than on the left side.

The bills on both birds are not nearly heavy enough to be Ravens.

Ravens are very smart wary birds. The chances of calling in/decoying two Ravens in on one sitting/hunt would be very very difficult.

Also ravens are fairly rare in the area where these birds were taken.

11. smalliestalker

The outer right side is clearly broken.

The question is about One bird. And Where did Spikehorn say it came specifically to a call or that it decoyed?

I am not certain, only provided facts and opinion. Spikehorn will be able to determine for sure one way or the other, based upon facts. Without more pics with wings spread out, or head close ups from side, not below, I don't think one can tell for a fact that it is a crow - or not.

"Raven wings are shaped differently than are crow wings, with longer primaries ("fingers") with more slotting between them. "Ravens are the ones whose wings you can see through." The longer
    primaries make the wings look more bent at the wrist than a crow as the bird flies, and the "hand"
    portion can look nearly pointed."

The upper and lower edges of the bill are parallel for most of their length in ravens, while in
    crows the downward curve starts somewhere around 2/3 of the way out for males, and about
    halfway for females.

12. Buckstopper

Buckstopper New Member

While I have not seen either bird in hand I know both Spikehorn and the hunter/shooter personally.

13. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

It is not a raven...it's a crow, ravens are considerably larger and have a different beak.

Beautiful specimen by the way...love to see it once its all done.

14. spikehorn

spikehorn New Member

Whew Its definetly a crow.................. Thanks to all for the advice. God now I'm afraid to post anything on here.

15. smalliestalker

Spikehorn You are flat out a liar.

IN FACT, I said mine was an opinion.

"that appears to be a (protected species) raven to me"
    and "I am not certain, only provided facts and opinion"

YES I suggested a different photo to follow up on BHarris' post.
    And if you think that both bills on your latest picture look the SAME you need to look again.
    :eek:

16. CR

CR New Member

smalliestalker, your an asshole......Ive been on this site three times, and your a shit stirrer....get over your self

17. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

It's a crow smalliestalker...they are one of my favorite animals and I have mounted several of them myself. Crow, crow, crow, crow. The first reason is the beak would be much heavier in the front, the neck feathers would be longer and the size is the easiest thing that stands out. Everyone can see the same pictures that there are several other differences that I don't need to go on and on abut naming each one. It's a crow, just be happy for the guy getting to mount such a cool color variation and pipe down. Not sure why we have so many people jumping on eachother all the time...if you truely cared why not PM the guy and let hm know your concerns?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. CR

CR New Member

amen shasta!!!!!!!!!

19. boarzhead

boarzhead God created man... Samuel Colt made them equal!

One thing noone asked is where it was harvested. That might be the desiding factor of crow or raven?

20. spikehorn

spikehorn New Member

A couple new pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My apologies, I really did not want to ruffle any feathers over this post .That is why I've been a member for about 7 years and do not post. After I saw the raven post I thought what have I done . I've got myself and my friend in trouble and got all stressed over it . Lesson learnt. I know when i frequent this forum at( least once a day) I enjoy the Cool and unusual birds (like the mallard wigeon )and thought you might enjoy the color of the crow as well as get some great advice from some extremely talented people. I will be extremely cautious if i ever post again. Again my apologies. The birds where harvested in southern Ontario. Thanks Again

Spikehorn