1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should I mount the black crow **** NEW PIC *****

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by spikehorn, Mar 26, 2013.

1. WildNatureLuver

WildNatureLuver New Member

Lesson learned Spikehorn ...........

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Hey Spikehorn, don't let it get to you. A lot of the blame belongs on our ridiculous, outdated wildlife laws that have turned us all into paranoids.
    I saw the first few photos and didn't say anything because I couldn't tell for sure - and we have a LOT of ravens up here, as well as millions of assorted crows, so I can definitely tell the difference.
    I think you can rest assured that it's a crow. Leucistic birds like that one usually have very weak feathers that are prone to breakage and premature wear, and that would explain why the tail outline isn't perfect.
    Also, those illustrations that show ravens with a clearly wedge-shaped tail are VERY exaggerated! The central feathers are usually a little bit longer, but the difference can be very subtle, especially for specimens that aren't in prime plumage. Only a few of the very best ones will look like those drawings.

Last summer, not one but TWO ravens managed to capture themselves by entering (how?) into a very large covered pen where I sometimes keep my hen turkeys.
    Smartest birds in the world??? Ha! (Maybe they were having an off day ...?) They paid for their rescue by enduring a brief photo opportunity.
    Now THIS is a raven!
    [​IMG]

3. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Well, this topic was just getting good :D. But seriosly, I agree with Shasta and Nancy C 100% on this one. I think you've just got your self a rare color morph crow. There could be a thousand reasons why its brown instead of the normal black, but you dont have anything to stress about. It's probably a recesive gene that just poped up out of the blue that you were lucky enough to get your hands on ;D. Dont wory about posting on here, just ask the questions you have and some will give you the right answer. BTW post some pics after they are done!

Yah, a bird that can solve an intracate puzzle that releases a treat, but cant figure out how a fence works ???. Maybe that one lost a few brain cells from hitting some windows a little to hard :eek:.

4. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

a normal colored crow and an odd colored one mounted together make a nice iece.......have done several ...coots...normasl and albino...squirrels...grey/black....and grey/white....here is a pr of northwest crows...or "alaskan fish crows"...a normal and albino.....and what you have is definatlly not a raven...those who have shot them know the size difference is so extreme there is no question

Attached Files:

5. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

That is a beautiful double mount byrdman...I hope to get my hands on an albino crow one day.

6. Lizardfeathers

Byrdman, that is an amazing crow you've got there. I'm so jealous right now. :'(. Haha... I bet Spikehorn didn't expect to have all these posts on here ;D.

7. Buckstopper

Buckstopper New Member

It is obvious that Smalliestalker is one of those people so full of themselves they can not admit a mistake.

The two CROWS in the first picture are now in hand. There is no doubt about their identity.

I hope Spikehorn will post pictures of the completed work. He does very good work!

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Making a completely convincing white crow re-creation isn't an easy task, but it CAN be done, Lizardfeathers. You can start with a white pigeon.
    The wing chord, the feather texture and the rictal bristles are the hardest parts to match.
    If you are willing to overlook those details you can still make one that will fool 99% of the public!

9. smalliestalker

smalliestalker and a river runs through it.

I will admit I made a mistake when you and the other name-calling crew that do not take the time to answer questions regularly (or ever) nor contribute tips and techniques here admit you are wrong. My mistake was an opinion. ?? Am I not allowed an opinion, while you are? Baloney! And saying "... was able to tell for certain that it was a raven from the first picture" was a purposeful and absolute bastardization of what I actually posted. I took the time to find reference and posted it: and had an opinion. And I will do it again, and even perhaps again have an opinion that is proved incorrect when presented with more data - and reliable opinions like Nancy's and Shasta's. :p

10. Lizardfeathers

Well Nancy C, I'd probably screw up the re-creation part, but you have a very good point. Some of the birds we see that are almost to good to be true, actually are. I'm almost glad it it difficult to make re-creations because if it were easy to do, there would be a ton of them out their instead of the real thing. And it's near impossible to find the right body, eyes, or beak. But as for me, I'll stick with striving for some of those weird birds and try my hand at mounting some in the future!

11. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

What the bloody hell is wrong with you Americans, as if your ridiculous laws and authorities aren't enough to give you all grief,,,, and you STILL have to argue amongst yourself over the silliest of things!!! You all appear to be 'Experts' and talk a load of rubbish!! The only person on this Forum id ever listen to is Nancy, there is a LOT of knowledge in that that!! And its a crow by the way!!!

12. mallard1

mallard1 New Member

God Bless America - her government and spirited people are the only reason you have the freedom to keep inbreeding and not goose-stepping. Of course all Americans are the same just like you are all same.

Attached Files:

13. daniel

daniel New Member

well the vikings nicked all the pretty one,s a 1000 yr,s back ;D ;D :eek: :eek: i have had 2 raven,s the same coffee brown as that crow.............daniel...

14. the same old  LEE.

the same old LEE. New Member

;D ;D well well well somethings never change''cept my user name, u lot still bitchin about pointleess crap 8) well i'm british ;D and i'l tell ya'''we got some FINE wenches over here ;D :-* :-* :-*. and we havent all got teeth like a row of bombed houses either :p ya fat yanks :D ;D hey daniel ;) howz it hangin. i here in iceland you lads like big old girls ??? :) well yez need summat to keep ya warm on dem looong winter nights'''eh'' ;)

15. daniel

daniel New Member

welcome ..the same old LEE... :p :p 8) glad your still kickin you are right mate i dont like um too close to the bone.... ;D ;D there are some nice wench,s over there done my share well there wasn,t any mobile phone,s back then or i would of done more..... ;)..d

16. tenpointtaxi

tenpointtaxi New Member

Well since ravens are not illegal to poses in Ontario, it's not a big deal . Ya you need a permit but that's as easy as going to the mnr. Not a big deal. (Unless its been shot) so regardless if its a raven or crow all the who pal is for not really. Can't wait to see the finished product spiker