1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Warts on Ross

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by birdstuffer, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Why do some Ross geese have warts on their bill? Don't tell me it's from kissing toads?

2. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

I have been Hunting them for a Couple of Decades.

I have always been told age.

Not sure of its validity though

Attached Files:

3. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Sounds like a logical reason... ( I tell everyone I lost my hair because of old age 24 years old.. LOL). I did cast the head and some of the detail that was there when the bird was firs killed was not all there when I cast it later. I would suspect that they are primarily made up of some soft tissue and fat, shrinking within a short time after they are dead. The bill and feed also change colors to a more Rosy pink (more like a darker turkey leg).

4. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

It's hard to say... There's got to be some sort of advantage to it. Maybe it's a secondary sexual characteristic, like pheasant wattles. It would be curious to see if it occurs more frequently and more pronounced on the ganders. Perhaps the older individuals have larger and more warts, signaling to potential mates that they have superior genes, given that they've been able to survive many harsh seasons.