1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the best way to preserve a bill from a $800 pound marlin?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dan270, Mar 27, 2013.

1. dan270

dan270 Member

Your advice would be appreciated. Never did this before and what is a reasonable price. Thanks so much.

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Mold it. Too much grease in there. At least that's what I would do...

3. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

$800 per pound? that's some expensive sushi :)

4. rp

rp Member

Hi There well to preserve it you have to make sure that u remove all the soft tissue. After removing the soft tissue, put in in a sollution of dishwashing liquid and luke warm water. Leave it in there for about 2 hours. Remove from this sollution and use small wire brush or your dremil tool with wire brush to remove the small tissue u missed. Sprinkle a descent amount of salt on the area u removed the soft tissue and place in a sunny ventilated area for about a week. After a week take the dried bill and wash the salt out, u can then fil this area with bodyfiller or clay. Spray black and mount. I use bodyfiller as its easier to put a threaded rod in for later mount. Some guys even take the dried bill and pollish it as it has a real neat pattern.
    [​IMG]

5. FishArt

Now that's a pretty cool way to present it JP. Looks like wood grains. Very, very cool. Is that painted that way and/or some of the bone colors showing through. Would love to see the hi-resolution pic of this. Super cool!

How do you make sure all the oil is out of the inside of the thing?

6. rp

rp Member

Hi Marty
    Well when u cut the bill of u will see the palet, u have to remove all the soft tissue until u see that there is none left. There will be soft bone there too that u have to remove. The dishwashing liquid acts as a degreaser and the salt also helps while it dries. U can degrease it again after it dries so as to make sure there are no oils left.
    The colours are actually the bone so u just put a clear laquer over it and mount

7. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

That's really cool rp!

8. FishArt

I love it - WAY cooler than painting with all the subtle colors in there. It's truly a work of Art!

9. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Very nice rp! i SOAK mine in acetone, there is some serious grease way down into the bill!

Jeff

10. Matt

Matt Active Member

Wow, that is very cool looking! Thanks for sharing RP!

11. rp

rp Member

Hi Jeff I almost forgot about that one, acetone is also a very good way to degrease, as well as laquer thinners ;D. Im still learning new stuff as I go along. The secret of fish bills is to make sure they are dry bfore you even attempt to pollish them. It takes practise but the end result is something neat.

12. JE

JE Well-Known Member

That bill looks great Rian. First time I have seen one like that, I like it a lot !!
    john

13. Wow rp that really looks great. Can the same thing be done with a swordfish sword?

14. rp

rp Member

Hi There just want to set things straight. The pic of the marlin bill I posted is just an example of what can be done, its not one that I made myself. I have made similar ones of marlin and sailfish. Just be sure that u pollish it slowly as u can easily polish to much. I use my dremil for this as I can control it better. I have not done this to a Swordfish bill but I think u will be able to do it too as its also bone. My clients loved the bills I've made this way as it looks more like art than just plain billmounted on wood.

15. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

That is great ART and I can imagine a pair of very expensive table lamps made this way. Thanks for the tip. JL

16. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Looks great, I would like to try some, any ideas as to how to obtain some bills?