1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wrinkles in the skin

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by yc889, May 21, 2007.

1. yc889

yc889 Restrain our greed to preserve the beauty of natur

Just mounted a small california halibut. Didn't know that the halibut skin got more streched than other species, so the mannikin I made didn't fit in tight enough. I thought it was OK so went ahead and dried the fish, but now there's some space between the skin and the foam on the show side, and the skin wrinkles.

Is there any way to get rid of the wrinkle? I am thinking about refilling that empty space, but haven't got a good plan yet. It is otherwise going to be a good mount. Does anyone have the solution, or any suggestion for me? Thanks in advance.

yc889

2. how did you dry the fish?

3. yc889

I dried my fish in the yard.

As I read through some earlier postings, sounds like rehydrating the skin and doing it over would be a possibility. Luckily I haven't painted or applied anything yet to the skin, other that the fin flex on the fins. Does rehydration work well? Can I just soak it in Borax solution? Or there is an easy way to fill the space nicely?

4. Ron K

Ron K New Member

I have used a hypo with that white lighting caulk that I have used to glue the hide down with and kinda filled in any voids with that. You would have to rehydrate the area with say a damp sponge and then fill it, if its just a small area. Any bigger then you might have to take it comepletly off and redo. Never had to take one all the way off after it has dried , so cant help in that respect. Hope that helps.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Without seeing it, it is very hard to say what to do. To have "wrinkles" there must have been a considerable amount of space under the skin. Sometimes with "drumming", you can get by with cutting a slit in the skin and sliding some mache' underneath and then smooth out. Then later you can come back with Apoxie Sculpt and fix the slit and any other defects. With "wrinkles" though, I'd think it would be tough because you've got to do something with that excess skin. And I suspect even though it's "wrinkling" in one area, that extra skin should really be spread out over the whole area/body. Lessons learned here is to always pull the skin tight up and around the backside of the form (not to state the obvious). You can generally stretch most skins a bit and a little tug (except for a handful of very delicate species) isn't going to harm most skins.

My concern is IF you do stretch the skin (after rehydrating - which you MIGHT be able to get by with just rehydrating the show side in the affected areas) is you're now probably going to have your fins off center. Again, really hard to tell w/o a pic, but it sounds to me like your overall form is too small. You might be best off tossing the whole thing in a bucket of water to rehydrate and remove the skin and start over via carving a slightly larger body (Take a tracing of the existing mount BEFORE doing this IF you haven't saved the original tracing so that you have SOMETHING to go off of)...

6. yc889

This is what I am thinking of now. Thanks for your advice.

7. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

let us know how it turns out. i have always wondered if i could do that.

8. yc889

See if I will have time to redo the skin this long weekend. I hope to catch more halibut this weekend, but if I can redo this one, it's easier than skinning another fish. Sure will let you know after I have tried to rehydrate and mount it again.

9. yc889

Here is my latest report:

I soaked the skin (over the small mannikin) in Borax solution for 24 hours, it gets soft but never quite as strechable as the original. No problem with removing the mannikin and fitting a new one inside. The fins and tail also tend to keep their dried shape. Good thing is the mache I stuffed in the cheeks keeps well even after soaking so I didn't have to re-fill the cheek. I think this time it will look good. Thanks for all the replies.

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i guess im not familar with a halabut, but is that an eye on top of the fishes head.

11. yc889

Yes halibut has two eyes on one side and zero eye on the other side, and they swin with the eye side up and the other side (with all white skin) down.

12. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

that is so cool. i guess i need to watch TV a little. maybe then i would have seen this. thanks for sharing.

13. yc889

Here is the halibut after painting, before applying finish.