1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Swimming Pool Shock - OK for Cleaning up Skulls?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by IronNoggin, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Good Buddy of mine referred me to this site. LIKE what I see, and hope someone can help with my question...

One of my Buddies was laughing at me today as I was whining about the cost of hydrogen peroxide. We're cleaning up a decent handful of skulls of late, and Damn! That stuff is getting a tad Pricey! ???

He said that he had successfully used Non-Chlorine Swimming Pool Shock Treatment to do this task, and that it had worked out well.

Methinks this is the stuff he was referring to: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PoolsAccessories/PoolChemicalslAccessories/PRD~0813323P/Oxy+Sparkle+Non-Chlorine+Shock+for+Pools.jsp?locale=en

First I've ever heard of the stuff, and IF it works, would be a noticeable reduction in expense...

So, I am Hoping someone here might be able to enlighten me one way or the other. Couple of the skulls are pretty nice, so I'd hate to screw them up!!

Thanks In Advance for any and all advise! :)

Cheers,
    Nog

2. Swimming pool shock is actually what most people on here use. It is the most cost efficient and because it is more powerful (27%) it whitens skulls a lot faster and lasts a lot longer so you can reuse it many times before it loses its potency. The only product I have heard is safe to use is BO or Baquacil Oxidizer. It usually costs around $17 a gallon and I have used the same gallon do whiten at least 15-20 skulls.
    [​IMG]

3. Be careful though. Most of that stuff is straight T-Chlor. (chlorine)

4. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Much like BO, I use a product called Soft Swim C. Different name, different package, same peroxide (27%), same price, same results. I'm not familiar with the product your friend suggested, just do some research & see how comparable it is to a BO or a Soft Swim C product. A good 24hr soak in that does the trick. And hey, make sure you're wearing a GOOD pair of pair of gloves when working with it. The stuff will do a number on your skin! Good luck!!

Attached Files:

5. And latex or nitrile gloves and a good pair of goggles or a full face shield too. Strong peroxide in your eye equals blindness.

6. Yep - goggles are critical when using this stuff. just one little drop splashing into your eye can blind you.

Bruce/

7. i use 35% peroxide and buy it 15 gal at a time. dont like pool products as they tend to change the name. try it on a junker skull before anything else, but it should work fine.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Every now and then you will end up with a skull that has a pink hue to it when using Baquacil or SoftSwim clarifiers. Don't know why, but it happens. Those skulls will need 35% peroxide to get rid of the pink hue.

9. treatedsyp

treatedsyp New Member

Where do you get the 35%

10. make sure you wear proper safety attire. never use any metal instruments. plastic only. there is a reason they put bio hazard stickers on this stuff.

11. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Bio hazard stickers on peroxide?

Got a pic?

12. lol no...............not biohazard. dam i wish i had one though. i would have stuck it on there for ya cyclone lol

13. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

;)

14. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

READ the label before buying. Don't take the word of the person selling the stuff. Look for a pool shock for non chlorinated pools. There is only ONE that you want and it is nothing more than 27% peroxide. There are a couple of others and they are NOT peroxide. It is a liquid in sealed, vented gallon jugs. Not a powder.

Yes I use this all the time. I've had one skull turn a faint pastel pink. That one skull was in the same container with several others so I don't know why this happens. A soak in the hair care type (40 VOL/12%) lightened it up enough that it wasn't very visible when dry.

Any store that sells pool or spa supplies should have it.