1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help Identifying African Shoulder Mount

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by eaglearmory, Mar 28, 2013.

1. eaglearmory

eaglearmory New Member

I just came across this shoulder mount at my shop but I am having trouble identifying what animal it is exactly, and consequently what to value it at. Thanks in advance for any help available!

Also, I apologize if this isn't the correct section of the forum to place this question.

Attached Files:

2. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Looks like a red hartebeest to me.

3. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Cape hartebeest

4. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

Or that too.
    Kinda like saying elk or wapiti ;)

5. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

lol what kind of a shop do you have to just come across these sort of things? Can't say I've ever foound a mount in my shop I didn't know was there haha... Not worth much.

6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

LOL, I thought the same thing. It looks like theres another animal above it.

7. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

hmm whatchya got in the ammo cans?

8. eaglearmory

eaglearmory New Member

Oh yeah, Gun / military surplus shop so random stuff comes in quite a bit, figured I could sell a few mounts on craigslist if they didn't sell in the store. Ammo cans are empty I think =)

I was thinking hartebeest originally but the colors on the red hartebeests from the mounts I could find online threw me off and made me think I had something different.

Thanks for your guys' help!

9. BlackHat7

BlackHat7 Member

That's indeed a red hartebeest. It looks like an old mount, maybe that's why the colors look strange ;)

10. Shawn Bakken

Shawn Bakken New Member

I think that is a Lichtenstein Hartebeest......

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Then that would have awesome gold colored hair, which I love. It is hard to tell the actual color from the photo.

12. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

It's a red Hartebeest (also known as the Cape Hartebeest). The only species of Hartebeest found naturally in South Africa (i.e. Cape).

13. mount-n-it

mount-n-it New Member

Looks like a Red Hartebeest or a Tsessebe. Tsessebe are a little darker than reds if I'm not mistaken and the horn is more similar to a Blesbok.

14. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

Red Hartebeest is correct. I've seen many Tsessebe and they are quite a bit different. Some confuse Tsessebe with Topi, but the difference in horns is clear compared to a red hartebeest.

Attached Files: