1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HELP, would you mount? Fix?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by HunterBrowning, Mar 29, 2013.

1. HunterBrowning

HunterBrowning New Member

I have a cape that's slipping really bad, I'm debating on if its usable or not. As you can see its coming out in large spots in the front, it practically clumps off if you blow in it. I was thinking of mounting it and gluing hair back in place but its starting to seem pretty bad. I tanned it with all my normal steps and have never had this happen, but the deer did have tons of dermal damage from fighting and ticks, even after tanning its still bruised looking.
    It's also a big cape that would be hard to replace... 8x22x25
    Any advice?!?
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

2. HunterBrowning

[​IMG]

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This one's lost. Sorry, but you can't fix all that. At least not where it wouldn't be visible. The skin spoiled. Either in the field or during some of your tanning processes.

4. HunterBrowning

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Afraid you need to replace the cape.....

6. Those red spots would seem to indicate that it isn't tanned all the way through. Is that where you had the slippage?

7. HunterBrowning

That's what I first thought about the pink spots too (cape was in the tan plenty of time and repositioned) but its actually ok in those areas. This buck was big, but got his butt whooped by someone, had a few broken tines, punctures in his face, fresh scars/rips in shoulders...
    Anyone ever have those black marks after a tan?

8. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

the spots on the inside of the cape would indicate more to me it was spoiled in those areas prior to tanning....

9. If the slippage is around the punctures, I would say the slippage is from blunt force trauma, just as a bullet would cause. I would say the black marks are bruising. Not your problem/ liability to replace, it's the customers.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Ted B

Ted B Active Member

Its possible that its shaved to thin in those spots and the hair has let go

11. It dosen't look like the tan took. Look at that ear.

12. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

What type of tan did you use?

13. Paul B

Paul B Active Member

Looks like its not tanned right as stated above. Was it pickled? Ears look raw, cape shouild be one solid color after shaving and tanning. That cape is trash as it will slip more.

14. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Looks like it was Krowtanned and the red spots are areas where the skin was folded and stuck together. Those areas will be susceptible to slipping too. There's likely more slippage to come as you work with it. I would get a replacement cape for this one!

15. replace it !!!!

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

It is still raw in spots, and the ear's are an odd color too, I'd guess that it wasn't pickled very long or at all.

17. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You can tell that Korwtann was used? Please elaborate..

18. Mason

Mason Active Member

I'm with Cyclone ???

19. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

yep, me too. The cape was rotten in spots and a lost cause before you started the tanning process.

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Dumpster Fire.