1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Marten Skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by weasel123, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I just wanted to share these 6 marten skulls that I just finished up. These were the ones I mentioned in another post that were all in the same net bag and lost most of their teeth together!!!
    After over a month of working on them whenever I had time I finally had all the teeth back and surprisingly had only lost the two tiniest lower incisors on most of them. If any newbies are reading this DO NOT MIX LARGE QUANTITIES OF SMALL PREDATOR SKULLS TOGETHER WHATEVER YOU DO!!!! :D
    Glad I am finally done with them and will never make that mistake again. If anyone is interested they are listed in the for sale section now along with a couple chipmunk skulls.

[​IMG]

2. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Nicely done, weasel! They look great!

3. lol i let my wife play tooth puzzle, she loves it, i hate it. those came out real nice..

4. FowlWeather

FowlWeather New Member

Nice looking skulls! Hopefully my first Marten looks that good!

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Great job with the tooth assortment as well :)

6. Thank you everyone. And fowlweather, I'm sure they will as long as you stick to degreasing as long as they need. If they're not completely done yet, put them back in. It is just a matter of if they are not completely white, keep working at it. Of course, some skulls can be more of a problem than others, but they all eventually become white with time.
    Speaking of this, it seems to me that on predator skulls, it is the lower jaws that are hardest to get white. If they're not completely degreased the outside whitens but they have a blackish undertone to them. Anyone else have problems degreasing lower jaws?

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Some of that dark color in the lower jaw is crap that is trapped inside the hollow area. You need to break it up and fish it out with a wire.

8. dont pass this around..............................but.....................some folks have been known to drill a very small hole in the bottom of the lower jaw, one on each side. when skull is sitting it covers holes. you can also use the holes as a way to keep skull from sliding / moving around on angled plaques. that's what i have heard............................... ;)