1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Skunk: Critique/Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Fallofthewild, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

Hello all!

So I recently finished mounting this male Striped Skunk. I used a hand-wrapped manikin (using Snowhare's DVD as a guide -a great tutorial) and a dry preservative. The animal was picked up as roadkill but the hide was largely undamaged.

I'm mostly okay with how it turned out (this is my first skunk) but I feel like the face is horrible. I spent considerable time with the eyes, nose, and lips and those features appear the worse. While the lips and nose are currently glued in place, I could potentially re-arrange some things, should you (the taxidermy.net members) see fit. The entire head looks strange to me, actually.

What thoughts do you have on how the face looks? Are there any things I can fix now? ...perhaps next time? Should I use a foam manikin next time?

Any general thoughts on the torso/legs/tail?

Thanks so much for your constructive criticisms!

D.J.

Attached Files:

2. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

Also, sorry for the poor quality photo -it wouldn't let me upload a higher quality image.

3. BlackHat7

BlackHat7 Member

Do you have a close-up of the head?

4. Use photo bucket to post pictures it is alot easier and simpler and you can post larger pictures.