1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zinc Sulphate

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Safari12, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Safari12

Safari12 Member

Reading the post previous in regards to degreasing fish and zinc sulphate was mentioned several times. I have tried this in the past and I never had much luck with it. It always seemed to " melt" the fins. I had a trout one time basically fall apart. I do not remember exactly how much I used but I have not gone back to the stuff. I am curious of how much you guys are using.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Wouldn't waste my time and money with the stuff. A borax solution works just fine for me and a soak in mineral spirits before that for the greasy species.

3. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

4oz per 2 gal

4. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I use......

I use zinc sulphate and borax in water for all my fish skins....never had a problem.

Kerby...

5. Perk

Perk Deuce, My grouse dog

Actually zinc sulphate is cheaper. I bought 100# from my local co-op for 38 dollars. That was a few years ago and I still haven't finished my first bag. You use much less per batch also.

6. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Safari12- I think you may have zinc sulfate confused with aluminum sulfate (alum). I have never had any probllems with scale epidermis sluffing or fin erosion using zinc sulfate but have certainly had those problems back when I was using alum to remove slime on fish.

7. den007

den007 Active Member

I used it in the past, but stopped when nobody could ever explain the origin of its use, lost in antiquity, or could explain exactly what it did in chemical terms. I keep wondering why I have never heard about baking soda being used. Good general deodorizer......I suspect many chemical ionic salts would help preserve a fish. To add them to a basic borax and DA solution remains the question in my mind. Anybody out there tell us all in chemical terms what zinc sulfate does and the hows and whys of its use in a fish tan????

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

All I know Den is I used it and actually felt it gave me inferior results. The skin actually dried darker. My thinking was why buy a chemical that gives me inferior results and I don't have to? Don't even get me started on the mixes that are sold as "fish tans." If a mammal skin doesn't tan by just soaking it in a chemical why would a fish skin do so?