1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sewing full body mounts.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by monarch, Mar 31, 2013.

1. monarch

monarch Member

Hi, guys - wonder if you can help me with my sewing. I have experienced some sewing slippage (coming apart) while doing full body mounts. I use both the hidden stitch and the usual football stitch where hair is longer. However, when using McKENZI pro cord I am finding it coming apart. What is the best way to cinch it say, every three or four bites? I have had a look through the tutorials but found nothing. A drawing or diagram would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Personally, I use the whip stitch. I'll stitch about 2-3 inches, cinch it down and then put a lock stitch before starting another sequence of whip stitches.

I stopped using those commercial "taxidermy threads" long ago. Fireline is just so much better.

3. monarch

monarch Member

Hi, George - very many thanks for responding to my question. It is most kind of you and I always appreciate your advice. I wonder if you can tell me how to make the lock stitch? I have had a look through tutorials but can not find anything. A picture or drawing of how to do it would be great if anyone can help. Thanking you...Bill.

4. George

During your whip stitches, you simply push the needle and thread UNDER the previous stitch and cinch down. The friction locks it from slipping and you simply go back to whip stitching.

5. monarch

monarch Member

Many thanks George - will try it out tomorow. ATB Bill.

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

There are alot better threads out there and fireline is one of them. I use both fireline and spiderwire, easy to hide even on short haired or no haired. The beauty of a very small diameter combined with superior strength is priceless.

7. duxdown

duxdown New Member

I agree with George I have resisted using the whip stitch for some reason up until my last deer head I did and I decided to give it a go and was more than pleased with how it held and laid the seam so flat. I don't know what took me so long to employ it as I used it on open split capes all the time. A braided fire line is the way to go in my opinion.

8. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

you may also try a round needle if you're currently using a cutting point type needle

9. George

Trevor why would you use a round needle for anything?

10. Lone Wolf AK

Lone Wolf AK Lone Wolf Taxidermy and Wildlife Artistry

Totally agree. One thing I do sometimes when tying off fireline or spiderwire is to put a tiny drop of super glue on the knot, as it reduces the likelihood of the knot coming loose.

11. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

You can also leave about 2 inches of line left after tying the knot, then light it on fire. It will melt down towards the knot, right when it gets to the knot press it down with the end of the lighter to lock it in place

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. George

Actually, I use neither of those methods but one that was taught to me about 50 years ago: After making your last stitch and tying it off, insert the needle back into the incision and push it off to the side of the incision as far as the needle will allow. Push the needle through the skin and then cut the needle off leaving 6 to 8 inches of thread. IF YOU USED HIDE PASTE, the thread is now saturated and imbedded in the paste. As you taxi the skin over the next few days, cinch the tag end of the thread to insure the stitch is still tight. When the glue cures, simply take a scalpel and nip the thread close to the hairline.

BTW, I'm VERY careful with fire around my hair. With my luck I'd have a singe to repair afterwards.

13. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

Thats about one of the dumbest things I have seen on here outside of Current Events, unless your speaking of one of the curved needles.

Whip Stitch and Fireline here, as George said, you can sew a few inches and pull it closed and it glides through the skin very easy.

14. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

. I use a sharpened round need occasionally on skin that is very thin and has very short hair. It's much better because you don't cut the skin ,it sort of squeezes through. Not dumb at all, just depends on what your application is.

15. I agree Jerry, not dumb at all.

16. GWebb

GWebb Well-Known Member

My apology, I was referring to larger animala as deer, bear etc. I do use a rounded needle when sewing some holes in ears and such when I worry about the glovers needle allowing the thread to rip the skin easy but that is about it. 99.9% of the time it is the glovers needle for me though.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yep, round needle for super thin skin, the tri corner cutting needles will leave a cut edge that will just start a rip if you have to stretch the skin any. But the tri cut points are my first tool of stitchery.

18. George

Using round needles IS dumb simply because of the misconception of how they work. Round needles work well on FABRIC because the point allows the needle to fit between the warp and weft of the fabric, separate it and pull through without cutting or tearing. Unlike the round needle that continues to get larger as you go down the shaft, the "sail cutting" needle is larger at the head. It's made to incise as it cuts a clean hole and then allows the thread to follow easily. Once the head clears, the needle has little to no friction involved in the process.

They make "triangular cut" needles in all sizes. I have them so small that I need a magnifying visor to thread them. Some of you guys buy into the story of a cutting needle tearing the hide while a round one won't. I truly hope you aren't serious with that. All perforations (like stamps or checkbooks) are made with ROUND holes. The cutting needle isn't any more prone to tearing than the poking ones. If you have to cinch it that hard, you should resort to skin slivers and superglue or both.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I will use whatever needle I want to use.

20. George

LMAO T you go right ahead. You're welcome to prepunch you hides like Dan Chase told us if you'd like.