1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How should I tan a groundhog?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lizardfeathers, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I just picked up a dead groundhog off the road this morning, and I'm wanting to tan the hide for a mount. Are there any good tanning solutions that I should use? And how would I use it? Thanks in advance! :D

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The bucks have pretty thick skin on their backs but the does tend to be closer to a coon. Any tan using the same techniques you'd use with any other skin will work.

3. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

X2 what Nina said about the thick skin. I've done them with a basic pickle and Liqua Tan with good results, but anymore I don't screw around with them. They are greaseballs and the skin is tough as nails. I send them to my tannery.

4. CannonQ

CannonQ New Member

I switched to krowtan. Any time you pick one off the road your running against the clock with slip. There was a few times I lost hogs that I shot on a hot day. Haven't lost any since I switched to krowtan. If you get a good young one they are pretty tasty on the grill too, just watch the glands.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to try those. The hog had been hit only a few minutes before I found her, because she still had plenty of body heat. And she was in the middle of the road so if had been there for any leangth of time she would have been creamed on the road.