1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My assessment of the NTA, where it came from, where it's headed to, and why.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ELMER GANTRY, Mar 31, 2013.

1. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

This is a letter I sent to a lifetime member of the NTA in response to a question they had on one of the NTA's financial documents. The individual replied back and encouraged me to post the letter I sent to them on Taxi-net. The individual's name and my grammatical errors were changed to protect the innocent ;D What goes on in Gantry land stays in Gantry land ;)

Dear Lifetime NTA member:

Here is my assessment of the NTA from about an unbiased guy that you are likely to find. Charley Haynes had a great idea back in the early 1970's. From there it (NTA) gradually started to reek just like all the sportsmen's clubs I had to deal with as a conservation law enforcement officer of that era. Most clubs never got off the ground, their membership's ultimate goal being to acquire a piece of ground and build a clubhouse. The rare clubs that succeeded in obtaining that goal, had nothing left to accomplish. Their membership grew older, became complacent, resistant to any changes. The clubs activity leveled out to having dinner meetings, with poker games after becoming a brief audience for the president and treasurer. These guys and gals grew older and were reluctant to allow any youth in, other than the other members kids, and like all the empires before them, they ultimately died a slow lingering death, as a result of their own doing.

When Charley Haynes was out of the NTA, whether by death, or was usurped and others took over, they established the path for the next bunch of TURKS until we have the NTA as we know it today.

The writing is on the wall for the NTA unless there are changes, the older group of alleged leaders, aka BOD, isn't getting any recruitment of any youth. I know the average age of a board member has to be approaching 60, maybe more. The OUTLOOK magazine, is basically all advertisements! All efforts gravitate towards the annual convention.

The real problem as I see it from my side of the creek, is that nobody knows exactly what they are supposed to be doing in accordance to the rules of a 501 (c)(6) entity. After extensively reading them and then the Articles, bylaws, and meeting's minutes, it's clear to me that nobody knew or cared enough to read into the requirements of what entails being a 501 (c)(6) entity, and/ or if so, they apparently did not understood what they had read. In fact I don't think the current Articles were written around the IRS's 501 (c)(6) requirements for the tax exemption status granted. The Articles of Incorporation seems to have been written off the old bylaws, and those too are equally remiss from the IRS's 501 (c)(6) grant of a business league.

It seems that at some point around the late 1990's there is a strong influence of outside forces that wanted to have the NTA molded into a group just like one that they were already associated with. Enter Greg Crain, fresh out of being the President of Louisiana SCI, his wife Cynthia, and John J Jackson III. At this point I must inject that I am not anti SCI or Conservation Force, they both have their place, its just that there was a strong influence from them towards getting the NTA membership to follow those other organizations lead into the developing anti-hunter issues. Lots of NTA membership's money was directed towards those hunting based nonprofits activities.

The NTA's direction and memberships monies should have been towards the betterment of the taxidermy industry as its 501 (c)(6) status dictated, with encouragement from the NTA's officials to the membership to personally donate to those hunting organizations and their worthwhile causes as they saw fit.

I don't know if the NTA was a 501 (c)( 6) back then, but I do know it is was, when it incorporated in 2007 under Louisiana law, basically on the statements found in the bylaws of the old Missouri Incorporation.

The Louisiana incorporation of the NTA doesn't mention anywhere in it that its a 501 (c) (6). A 501 (c)(6) is a business league/trade organization, which deals with surprise, the betterment of that specific business, known as "taxidermy." So the activity of the corporation should deal strictly with the IRS's laws intent, the betterment of the taxidermy industry.

At some point via the Articles and bylaws there is talking of open membership, and that membership is open to "conservationist, guides, and sportsmen" all highly questionable in my opinion as to the grant received as per IRS rules of a 501 (c)(6). We know that membership in the present NTA is not OPEN, hence the present NTA's stance towards antlerman, Gregg Ielfield, Michael P, anybody else who questions any NTA activity, and probably inclusive of myself.......LOL

According to tests of the IRS for an exemption under 501 (c)(6) you would exclude "sportsmen" as sportsmen aren't a business! So those would be excluded from a taxidermy based business league. Conservationist are not a business! Guides could have their own business league, but what's a museum tour guide, or a white water boat guide have anything to do with the "betterment" of the taxidermy business? What kind of business is a conservationist? The only way I can see any correlation to the IRS rules and the bylaws and Articles of Incorporation would be if the taxidermist was a guide, sportsmen, or conservationist. Certainly not all guides, sportsmen, or conservationist are taxidermist.

As a 501(c)(6) tax exempt business league, the activity of the league in this case, taxidermy would be for the betterment/improvement of the present taxidermy industry, NOT geared for some perceived futuristic generation of business for the taxidermy industry.

So at some point the purpose of the NTA as a 501 (c)(6) went in a direction opposite of the IRS rules on the exemption the NTA applied for, 501 (c)(6) and the IRS granted tax exemption on, 501 (c)(6), way back when. I personally think the Crain's association with the SCI chapter in Louisiana, and their acquaintance with John Jackson as members of the SCI, and their participation in all three having been past Presidents of the Louisiana SCI Chapter, gently led the NTA into the direction we know it today, which is on a fast, out of control, downwards spiral.

The NTA's bylaws imply strong SCI association. The Actions of the Board generally scream old white men, afraid of being taken over by some younger Turk like Michael P who might show some enthusiasm and cause them to have to get off their duffs and do something different.

In short I don't think the past few generations actually know what the 501 (c)(6) exemption requirements are , nor do they care.
    The honorable have seen the light and left when known wrongs weren't righted, leaving a core group of takers/head turners on the board that couldn't or wouldn't smell a skunk if they were sitting on it. The loyal diehards knowing right from wrong are now being labeled as malcontents from the NTA hierarchy, and the majority of the old guard waiting for something to change, so they can say, "I told you so."

Hopefully we can effect that change prior to Crains and Crew running it so far in the ground that there is no return, and that is close at hand. General Greg Crain, as ED of the NTA is at this point not unlike Jefferson Davis in the last weeks of the civil war. The writing is on the wall, Crain and crew needs to surrender, and fade gently into the memories of their ex-members minds.

At that time the membership is truly open to ALL taxidermist, and related fields as allowed by the IRS. The older lifetime members will still be intact, and hopefully with an injection of some youthful enthusiasm, the bylaws, ethics code, and Articles will be amended to reflect the business status of the NTA's 501 (c)(6), and not those of SCI and Conservation Force, which are 501 (c)(3).

It will be a struggle financially , but hell Obama's fiat money can be eventually replaced. The hardest job is going to be replacing the bad memories, hurt feelings, and peoples preconceived notion's of the Crain's era NTA.

Respectfully submitted,

Elmer

2. Haynes

Haynes New Member

Elmer
    This is about the biggest pile of bs I have ever seen. You know absolutely nothing about the NTA except what others have fed you.
    Hypothetically, if the Crains were gone, who do you suggest take over ?? I am writing your answer down on a pad. When you reply, I will tell you who it is.

3. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    No one should "take over". No need for a ED !

4. Haynes

Haynes New Member

OK, who choses and checks out the site for the convention? Who does the finiacials for the convention?
    Who sets up, and contacts people to do seminars??
    Who takes care of booth rentals and such??
    Who handles all the hundreds of problems that crop up at the shows??
    For someone who is supposed to be smart, you show a remarkable lack of knowledge.

5. The Board members. Just like at the state shows.

6. Haynes

Haynes New Member

The biggest problem I have is why are you and your cohorts trying to destroy the NTA? What will you gain?
    Fame?

7. margip

margip Member

That's easy, the very same people who are about to take back the NTA----THE MEMBERSHIP!

8. Haynes

Haynes New Member

Who is going to tell the Board members what their individual responsibilities are? Which one is going to be at the convention site 2 days in advance to make sure things go right?? Board members?? what a joke.

9. Heath Cline

Ohio
    You are not seriously asking those questions, are you ?? LOL
    If your ED does all that, what do you board members do besides saying "yes sir" to everything your ED says ??
    No wonder the NTA is in as big a mess as it is !!! Some of you board members don't have a clue !! If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny !!

10. Haynes

Haynes New Member

Mark, what a joke!! The members are going to do just what they do now, NOTHING!!!

11. ELMER GANTRY

Actually Mr. Bill if that pile of Bull chit is as large as you say it is then it might be from one of those Big Feet they are talking about up in current events ;D ;D ;D I wear a size 10 myself ;)

Hypothetically speaking I would advertise for an ED if I thought I needed one, and screen applicants who meet the qualifications needed to run the organization ::) after interviewing them. Secondly Mister Haynes I probably know more about your organization than you do ;D ;D ;D So I ask you why did the Articles of Incorporation get amended in 2009? If you amended them how come they weren't registered with the Louisiana Secretary of State! ;D ;D ;D You Didn't know that happened, now did you ;D ;D ;D Additionally why are the 2010 and 2011 Balance sheets BOTH using the same figures in the Life and Prize funds, when those funds were both raided ? Why are the accounts receivable in 2010 the same as they are in 2011? ;D ;D ;D....WHY because of Louisiana Monkey Math :eek: :eek: :eek: Now take off that maxi-pad ;D and write down your answer, Mister Kreskin Haynes ::)

As always your friend,

Elmer

12. Heath Cline

Ohio
    You are right, what a joke you are!
    Who tells the board members what their responibilites are ? Duh, the President , PLUS it is wrote up (or should be) in the bylaws.
    Gee, we have quite a few board members at our convention site a 1 1/2 days early before our little ol' state show !
    You got anymore questions ? LOL
    How much koolaid do you board members drink at each meeting ?
    I ask again. What do you board members even do then, besides "yes sir " ??

13. ELMER GANTRY

Mr. Haynes it seems you have a case of bad self esteem ;D ;D ;D I don't think your a joke, just because your a Board member ;D ;D ;D

Now hold your head high and repeat after me I am....somebody ;D I am....somebody ;D I am....somebody ;D I am not a joke ;) I am not a joke ;)

I don't think your a joke Mister Bill, a little unsteady on occasion, but not a joke ::)

As always your bud,

Elmer

14. ELMER GANTRY

What members Mister Bill????

Ya all run most of them (members) off already :'( :'( :'( If it wasn't for paid up life member you would probably be down to about 350 annual memberships :eek:

Your pal,

Elmer

15. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

After reading Bill's posts, he makes it perfectly clear why an ED is not needed. One man to decide everything!!! A BOD that is his boss but has no authority or power to do anything for the NTA. Your statements prove exactly why the NTA is being ruined, from the inside out.

16. margip

margip Member

From the looks of things, it appears that the ones who have had free reign of the purse strings and who have bullied the the good people of the NTA are indeed about to find out just what the "members" are going to do. And from the looks of things it also appears that you and the Crains seem to think that you are above reproach which is also another farse. You have already been advised by more than one person to get out while the getting's good. I can't for the life of me understand why you want to take a fall for these folks.

17. ELMER GANTRY

I have no cohorts Mister Bill ;) I am the Lone Malcontent ;D You guys have pretty much destroyed the NTA on your own, I am here to fix it and then give it back.

My only gain is about 5 lbs from sitting here going over all the documents for the past 2 months or so that you guys won't send me. ::)......LOL

Now be sure to send that 1024 and 990's requested just about 30 days ago, or the IRS will have to furnish them, and that really pisses them guys off, since the Federal law requires the entity to keep that stuff on file at their registered office, and the grumpy guy at 108 Branch sent the nice lady to the lawyers office, and then he submitted a bill for over 2,700 American dollars :eek:, now the next time we come, smile, greet us with a handshake, and get the *&^% out of the way :) :) :)

We still be friends,

Elmer

18. Haynes

Haynes New Member

Elmer, If you could leave off all those little smiley faces, maybe I could understand what you are trying to say.

19. ELMER GANTRY

Mister Bill................................................Mr. Bill..........................Bill...............

:'( :'( :'( :'( now I'll never find out whom I am

Mr. Bill you still wearing that pad :eek:

Best Friend Forever,

Elmer

20. Maya

Maya New Member

What an insult to the young lady who just revamped the whole NTA web site pro bono! She may not be a board member, but if I read her own website correctly, she's even a Life Member.
    Mr. Haynes, there are times, like now, when your own words cuts deeper than any scalpel.
    On top of all this you even successfully just trashed your own board members. You would do well to remember that no one on earth is as irreplaceable as you think the Crains seem to be. No one!