1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Does anybody hate when...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Apr 1, 2013.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

..You get a customer phone call and they tell you they will be over later that day to drop work off and never show up? I spent a good hour on the phone yesterday with a customer and after ten million questions about taxidermy and the process, and several call backs in a row later, including one asking me how long I've been doing taxidermy (which, BTW impressed me) she agreed to show up later in the day. Being a holiday, I generally wouldn't bother, but it was a special case and I gave in. No calls and no show. It's like being stood up for a date, except your date signs checks for you.

I just had to vent and wanted to hear some other takes on this from you guys.

2. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Yup sucks, sounds more like a competitor checking your credentials to me. Put his wife or girlfriend up to it. l may be wrong, but probably not. Anyways, it sucks, but it is part of the business. Not a whole lot you can do in case it is a legit customer.

3. If someone says they will be over "later that day" I ask for an approximate time. If they are not there at that time I call them and ask what's going on. If I get voicemail I wait 15 min and call back. If still no answer I no longer concern myself with them.

4. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I doubt it was a competitor because the only other guy within miles of me is John Janelli, and I don't think that is something he has time to piddle around with doing. I am pretty sure he and I are the only two in the NYC metro area. It's just frustrating to spend that much time speaking to someone only to have it flatline. I guess it's just part of the business.

5. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I do the same as Andy.

6. That is annoying, but not as annoying as the client (whom still owes you money) you call, to tell them their mount is ready, and they say they'll be out (fill in the blank), and they don't show up that day. Nor the next. And so on. I usually give them a couple of extra days, then send them a letter about it.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That's sort've what I do since I am by appointment only. I ask for an approximate time and tell them they're inked in on the calendar at (eg) 4pm tomorrow and to please give me a call if they can't make it. I also ask them if II can reach them at this number (caller ID). I tell them I have errands to run or have to pick up my kid from (fill in the blank) at 5pm tomorrow. A little white lie often, but a good one. I rarely have "no shows" and if they do show up excessively late I may or may not be here. I've learned to try to accommodate folks' schedules amap, but I've also learned that you're going to have one or two a year that'll do this. And the best thing to do for YOUR sanity is to accept that it happens once in awhile. I don't stick around too long if I have other things to do if they're excessively late. That attitude makes you feel better when it does happen. Maybe THEY wasted their time coming out two hours late and I was at Home Depot - lol! Most likely they just changed their mind or found somebody cheaper and they were too lazy to call. I rarely if ever call them back though. IMO that appears you're too anxious for the work when you do that. Play the numbers game and don't sweat ever loss. You're not going to win every job. I'd say at least half of the time I get a call 2 or 3 weeks later and they want to schedule an appointment to drop off again and they're all apologetic about missing the last appointment. I shrug it off as it's no big deal but tell them I'm busy and we go through the same appointment time deal where I set the "window" for them. Works for me...

8. Allie

Allie Member

I don't have a taxidermy business, but I manage an apartment building and show available ones by appointment. I learned this trick from a friend who owned a fancy restaurant. When someone makes an appointment and doesn't show or bother to call, I call them up late at night and act like I'm real concerned and say, "Are you OK? I've been worried sick waiting for you didn't show up!" They never know how to reply. If they don't answer and I have to leave a message, I'll add, "Please call back so I know you're OK, or I guess I'll call the police and report that you might be missing or maybe something terrible happened to you."

9. That is AWESOME! And a perfect solution to no shows...

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Always protect yourself by saying "I'll be here today til 2pm", or whatever. I always give myself 30-60 minutes leeway...if I'm leaving at 4, I tell them 3...I seldom make anyone wait on me, and I'm not wasting minutes of my life I'll never get back waiting on someone else....for any reason.

11. Frog

Frog New Member

This is what I've learned to do .

12. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yep, that's what I said - give 'em a window and a time where you won't be around any more...

13. That should have been your your first clue. That's almost a sure bet there calling someone else as well ! comparing information but mostly $$$$

14. mimes

mimes New Member

If you are only one of two taxis in that big of an area, I would think you have enough work not to worry about missing out on that no show.

15. DL

DL Well-Known Member

I had a call recently like that asking questions about me. He asked if I had a state license and told him I didn't need one here but had a federal migratory license to do birds. Never heard from him for weeks and then he called and showed up. Fish and wildlife warden showed up with a duck to mount for his son.

16. Get a Hands Free Wireless head Set for your phone. You can talk all day and keep working.
    I really don't care if I get a "NO SHOW". You can't controll what other people do so I just go about my business.
    It helps having my shop at home.
    Why is it when you are ready to eat, that is when thy show up.