1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4-H project problems: please help my kids with a few issues

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by chellebyerly, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Tip of tail is eather freezer burnt or dried out. I inject all my tails with DA and skin pulling the tail out last, this will give the DA time to rehydrate the tail.
    I never split the tail all the way even on a coyote

2. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Does DA work better than Stop Rot for that? I've read a lot about Stop Rot helping with freezer burn, but so far every time I've tried it (on freezer burned ears) I haven't seen any improvement.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, I never claimed to be able to earn a blue ribbon on a tree rat with a split tail but a decent outcome is possible. From the original question I gathered that it broke during stripping. I offered what I felt was a way to remedy the situation. It may not be ideal, but doable. Joey's method, which is an abreviated version of what I posted, would maybe work better with less sewing.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

A squirrels the most difficult of animals to mount. Nothing is more pitiful than a buck-toothed, slicked down tree rat. I don't need any other challenges and squirrels are too plentiful for me to stretch what little talent I have. A broken tail means a replacement tail ( or squirrel).

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    George, I know what you mean. I personally won't mind if I never have another squirrel walk through my door.

6. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

You guys are using a tail strippers aren't you?

7. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

The tail stripper hasn't helped with the grey fox tails I was talking about.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'd never consider stripping fox or coon tails. They get split.