1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

critter clay

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by 24/7, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 24/7

24/7 New Member

I got an order in today and the supplier sent a lot bigger order of critter clay than I ordered or will use for a long while. Will it keep if I bag it in a sealed freezer bag and thaw it out as I need it?

2. Yes.

3. AaronWolf

AaronWolf Member

I always take my critter clay and cut it into four equal pieces and put each one in its own bag and label, 1 of 4, 2 of 4 and so on. and as i need it i just get one out the night before and its thawed by morning and nice and workable. It will keep fine frozen.

4. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

I have another question about critter clay? Not to highjack the post but I just got a box of white critter clay and have never used the white before, this stuff is so sticky it won't roll out good and is sticking to my hands like crazy? What gives. Never had problems with the other. Should I refridge it before use?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Travis, the white sucks!(LOL) Atleast that's my take on it!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

X2!

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I always do that, and it's cheaper anyway to just buy the bigger box. I divide a 50lb box up like that and vacuum pack 5lb blocks and freeze.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Matt is being nice. The white Critter Clay is a POS. A good idea gone bad cast on us by the fishheads. LOL

Now guys, this ain't rocket science. Why are you freezing the clay? Not that it hurts it, but why? In a sealed plastic bag, you can set it in your cabinet and it will last just as long. IT'S CLAY, people. Artificial dirt. Even if it dries out, simply run it through a cheese grater and mist it with water. Seal it up and the next day it will be just like new again. Same with Potter's clay. I bought 10 five pound boxes at a convention some years back. They're all stacked in a cabinet. I opened my ninth one last week and it was still just as pliable as any other "new" box of Critter Clay. It's not like it's going to rot or anything.

9. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Member

Well George, your no fun at all. You then have never had the joy of realizing you forgot to pull your block of frozen critter clay out of the freezer to thaw when your just about ready to set the eye's. So you get the saw out and cut chunks off it to thaw.

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just microwave it for a few seconds.

11. the white critter clay sucks????? Do they make other kinds?

12. millardtaxi

millardtaxi JOHN 3:3

I thought I got a bad batch matt and George, I deff agree..... It is no good at all!!! I felt like a first grader trying to set eyes with that stuff. I almost thru that crossbow buck In the parking lot.... Lol I would of took the rack off first of course.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

It stays indefinitely as long as its kept sealed. I recommend putting larger portions of it in the fridge to retain moisture better once you break the seal on the bags. I bought 50lbs of it around 2005 and still used it up to a year ago when I ran out. The white critter clay is useless for anything other than fish work. I do like its stickiness for just that reason.

14. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I just have to ask, why would they send you more than you ordered? Sounds like you got lucky and got some CC for free.

Never used the white stuff.

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

LMAO!!! yes, it is that simple :)

16. AJH

AJH Member

I had some sealed in a bag that hadn't been opened in a year or so. It was still soft and workable but was blackened and on the outside. I assumed mold. I dug into the middle to use the good stuff and it was fine.