1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rainbow/Steelhead Head

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ryanstraw, Apr 2, 2013.

1. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

I am mounting my male steelhead finally and the head is shrunken from the freezer (not properly wrapped) The head is pretty much shot. I have found an artificial head that matches my measurements but the artificial doesn't have a hook jaw which my fish did. Do any of you have a head for a male steelhead head you would be willing to sell?

Length from the tip of the jaw to the end of the gill cover 4 1/2"
    Height from the top of the head to the throat latch 3"
    Width gill cover to gill cover 2 1/4"

Thank you for any help.

-Ryan

2. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Rehydrate it Ryan. I soak them in my fish cure and they will "bloat" back virtually to what they were originally. Any shrunken areas can be easily fixed with

3. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Personally I would use a repro head anyway. Try Caribou Taxidermy. His heads are very nice and he will no doubt have the size you are looking for.

4. ryanstraw

I tried soaking the head for a few hours in cool water and it did not change. I will definitely contact Bill about the heads and if it is last resort I might try to build the hook myself.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

And yes, real easy to build up a hook...

6. You can inject the head with water too. You have any pics of the head?

7. ryanstraw

I will post a pic in shortly I am still thawing it out. Where the shrinkage is is on the top of the head from the back of the head forward it dips down into a large depression then slightly rises back up.

8. ryanstraw

He wasn't a big steelie only 19" but here are the pics

Attached Files:

9. ryanstraw

More

Attached Files:

10. ryanstraw

More

Attached Files:

11. ryanstraw

More

Attached Files:

12. ryanstraw

Last one

Attached Files:

13. ryanstraw

Sorry about the mess I have a nice cluster of trash on my workbench lol. ;D

14. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I would just go ahead and cast it and fill in the shrunken areas on the finished cast with apoxie sculpt. That way it is YOUR fish and will fit YOUR fish with no issues.

15. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

That's is such an easy fix. I been casting for one heck of a long time. I can't remember when I had to buy a head for a fish that I'm mounting and that means fish in the freezer for over two years.
    You can do one of two things soak the fish in the zinc sulfate or do what do with all my cold water heads, I inject them. I may use water or alcohol till I swell them back to what I want.
    Going to a dealer and buying a head is just plan lazy in my opinion. Are you in that much of a rush to get a head. Just think it may take two three days or more to get that head in the mail. Now if it soaked for that long guess what? A head ready to cast if you just soaked it. Sorry for the venting but it doesn't take much to inject a head to make a cast of it.

16. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

So, what's your point Frank??? LOL!

Frank, keep in mind that not all of us have the experience nor are as talented as you when it comes to casting fish heads. That being said, I think it's good practice to cast a head now and then. So, I wouldn't argue with your advice. Ryan, just make sure you save your measurements in a safe place just in case you need/want to order a head. Personally, I'll cast (or pay DougP to cast) fish heads for me IF I can't find a suitable size. I can paint, but molding and casting is an Art form all in itself. I suppose if I did quite a bit of it I'd get good at it. But, there's just not the volume of salmon and trout for me any more. And Caribou/Leach heads are very nice. Even with shipping and teeth installed, a head this size will probably run Ryan $20 bucks or so from Caribou. I can't even come CLOSE to that if I do it myself. "Lazy"? Yeah, maybe a bit, but I'd have to charge another $75 bucks or so for a custom cast head. And, I think Caribou's heads are nicer looking than what I can do! IF the head you're going to cast already has a lot of shrinkage that you need to rebuild anyway are your customers REALLY getting a copy of their live fish's head? And are you going to rebuild ALL of those tiny little shrunken areas? Just some points to ponder...

17. ryanstraw

Thank you all for the help. I will keep the head in the freezer I am in no rush to mount the fish I will try all of the methods you have taught me and if it last resort I will get a repro head. Thanks again.

-Ryan