1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tanned and frozen deer cape what would you do ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dihard, Apr 3, 2013.

1. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

i tried to be a nice guy and mount a deer head for a friend for short money the deal was he pays for the form and supplies .....well i fleshed and tanned and has been frozen ready to mount for 4 months now can't get a hold of him to pay for supplies and determine what form he wants .. i am moving out of my winter home for summer and want to unplug my freezer should i pull the cape out of the freezer dry it out and store it dry ,put it in another freezer ,sell it or use it for a set of sheds i have .. .let me just say never again will i do that i have time and labor involved in fleshing and tanning it ..nice guys finish last

2. This happens far to often my friend. I would use it for a shop mount especially if it's a nice cape but it doesn't hurt to give him another call and I would also send him a letter. To many times they say " oh I'm sorry I didn't get your message". Good luck.

3. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

How to handle it depends on how the deal came about. Did you make the offer to him, or did he ask you for a favor? If you approached him about it, you may have put him in a position to accept a deal he couldn't really afford. If that's the case...stick to your word and hold on to it until he does have the funds. In that case I would take the cape out and salt dry it for easy storage. If HE hit you up for a favor, send him an e-mail (and keep a copy of the e-mail) or write a letter and give him options with a deadline. If he doesn't move on it - sell it, use it as a replacement cape, or mount it up and use it for a display mount for your shop. If he later decides he wants it, charge him for a normal mount, or the agreed upon amount plus extra for your trouble.

4. I have never faced that problem . But send a letter asking to pay or you have no choice but the sell or mount your way or throw it away . Times are hard for everyone do what you will let your heart show you the path . As for me I would mount and save for my own . Then if he was it you have it and can recoop. mark c

5. If is a money issue give him the opportunity to pay for the amount of work you have in the cape.
    Then he can put it in his freezer until he has the money to mount it.

6. dihard

dihard aim small miss small

thanks ! i don't think its a money issue it's a wife issue more of what wall he is going to hag it on . i am going to dry it and store it and rehydrate it later when is time to mount .is a real nice cape 200lb + buck in rut full swell