1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please critique bluewing teal

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ffwaterfowl, Apr 5, 2013.

1. ffwaterfowl

ffwaterfowl New Member

[​IMG]

Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings, it if sucks please tell me this way I can get better.

2. In no way would I say it sucks. You did a nice job! What stands out to me is the bend in the neck at the base of the head. Looks to sharp of a bend, almost like a crease. Check some reference pictures and see how the head and neck flow together. Just my opinion.

3. ffwaterfowl

ffwaterfowl New Member

That's the same thing I thought. I played and played with the head but wouldn't flow smooth for me. Any idea why it did that?

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Waterfowler, I think the skin needs to be pulled down. That may take the crease out and the neck probably needs to be fuller there at the head base so when you pull the skin down it will take the slack. Can you still relax the area and get some caulk in there? Great job on the leg placement.

Attached Files:

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

The reason the head/neck junction is off is partly (mostly) because you didn't re-create the trachea, and partly because the skin is taxied up too far under the chin.
    It also looks like the neck might be too short and that could be what was causing the taxiing problem.
    Another thing is that the wings are set too low on the sides.

On a positive note: the mount's balance is quite good, and that's an area where a lot of newbies have trouble. You're ahead of the game there.

6. socalmountainman

Yeah, that's what I said, in broken english.

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

LOL - I didn't even see that you had posted, Socal. We must have been typing in stereo! (I wish this software would take us to our posts instead of to the main forum, but oh well ...)

Another thing about the teal: Get the clip off of its bill asap! It will leave a mark that you won't be able to get rid of.

8. socalmountainman

You gotta try the artificial heads Waterfowler. They will eliminate so much work like cleaning out the head, tying up the bill and that silly wire on top!

Attached Files:

9. ffwaterfowl

ffwaterfowl New Member

I left town for the weekend, won't be back till Sunday evening. Is a incision made some where to insert the caulk?

10. socalmountainman

I would open up the bill and shoot it down its mouth using your fingers to smooth it down and around the back side of the neck.

11. Ted

Ted Member

Take the skin off a bird head and neck. Bend the neck 90 degrees to head. THe neck doesn't stick back behind the skull much at all. Drill out the back of the artificial head so the neck can fit into it.

12. socalmountainman

He didn't use an artificial, it's the real head. The skin needs to be pulled down and the trachea formed, that's all.

Attached Files:

13. PJD

PJD New Member

keep the carcass and hang up reference pictures as your setting up your mannikin and mounting, keeping the carcass nearby,especially the neck has helped me out tremendously in posing and learning how it bends as welll as how head and neck r joind together,

14. ffwaterfowl

ffwaterfowl New Member

Thanks for the info! Very much appreciated