1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What bird is this?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ShastaDonegan, Apr 6, 2013.

1. ShastaDonegan

ShastaDonegan Lets start with ridiculous and move backwards.

A client dropped this bird off with me last week. Her son tossed it outside after it died and it spent a day in temps up to 45 degrees. It was covered in ants and looks to be pecked at and missing a bit on its back...the woman was distraught and I explained that I might not be able to save it but assured her I would do my best and if it was not viable I would save the feathers for her. My question is how likely is it that it will be fine. I've never handled a bird and had it slip or anything other than from pin feathers. The plumage seems to be in good condition. I have a parakeets the same color green I could patch the back with but I'd rather find a match if anyone has one that is closer or even the same species. Any ideas anyone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

3. ShastaDonegan

That's what I thought it might be...the lady said it was a canary, Bless her heart. I should just call you and get your input on the whole project. I really, really want to be able to save it for her.

4. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Canary... and then .. Conure... Hmmm
    I would say they can mix them up,, if the person is old ;D,, I remember my grandma used to say alot of wrong words and make us laugh.
    You might want to use stoprot instead of water.
    good luck.

5. Foo bird

6. As to the question on the slipping of feathers, Im not sure what to do. I would contact Nancy C on the forum here. She seems to have dealt with these problems in the past and has a lot of knowledge on what you can or can not do. She is a wealth of information.

7. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

Defiantly a Sun Conure, however their are many Conure x-brids for the pet trade. I have experience with parrots and have seen tons of them. Hope you can save it as much as possible. Good luck!

8. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It's not a sun conure. I suspect it's a hybrid sun x nanday conure, aka: a sun-day conure.
    Conures have tough skins and don't slip easily, so you have a pretty good chance of saving it if the time of death info is accurate. A good 30 minute soak in denatured alcohol before you skin it couldn't hurt, but it might be okay even without it, depending on the actual temperature, how long it was dead and how much damage the ants might have done.
    Parrot feet are very prone to shrinkage, so inject them well. Expect to do some epoxy work around the eyes. (I usually just give up, discard the eye skin, and sculpt the whole area, eyelids and all, because it seems easier to me than trying to fix the shrinkage.)
    Other than that they are pretty easy.

9. ShastaDonegan

Thanks so much nancy! You are a life savor! My mother has a sun conure and it is much smaller than this bird and has red tail feathers, not blue...I was quite confused as to the exact breed of this one. It sure is a beauty. I've already doused it with denatured alcohol whee the ant damage is before I tossed it not the freezer. I hope it's okay?