1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie 6900 - Proof Glen Conley was absolutely right

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I don’t like the look of the New Dodge and Ford trucks. I am a Chevy Guy . But just because I am a Chevy guy does not make me like all the Chevys. I don’t like the little Chevy Aveo it’s too small , don’t like the looks at all.. I like the looks of Chevy trucks Much more then the looks of GMC trucks . I don’t care for some of the other Chevys cars they make but I sure like the NEW Chevy Corvette and Camaro Wish I had both of them.. .

I like the looks of MY 2003 Chevy Z-71 more then the new 2012 Chevy trucks . I like the slanted head light look. Cat Eyes in a way.. Lots of people do not like that . but that is fine. But just like anything else it is nice we all have options in our world. Everyone is trying to build a better mouse trap. And that is a good thing. ​

8) 8) 8) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)​

2. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

George
    You must remember that all these sculptors used measurements from live deer or had a private herd in the back yard , and all the mannikin's are different ? Why ? Also the latest and greatest deer eyes were photographed off live deer with the best Nikon camera the professional photographer could find and checked with a computer and reproduced through a CAD machine , and they are ALL different. Why ? Somebody has been yanking our chain for a long time now. Not exactly a exacting science or industry.
    I am anxiously awaiting the new line of deer from that famous sculptor, Edward Prendick whose private herd is on the Isle of Dr. Moreau. How much different can they be ?

3. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

This "commercial hack" had about two hours into replacing the platypus nose and shaving off the neck hump and other little things. I liked the mount when completed, the brisket looked ok and fell into place nice. but i like things better when i just prep everything real quick and pull em on and sew em up. probably an hour and a half shop time wasted for me on the 6900. For me, theres some better choices out there right now.

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I just made a fatal flaw in my shop. I totally resculpted an 8600 series for a HUGE deer. Made a wall pedestal out of a wall mount, turned the head bout 2", resculpted and severely increased the facial area, slapped the hide on Monday, bagged it, Today I realize I never rebuilt the left side of frontal area, my swells were WAY too high, basically ruined the whole freaking mount and concept......... I ask my worker with out saying a word 'what's wrong with this deer?' (he LIVES on a high fenced ranch) and he says 'nothing, it's beautiful! Look at that rut swell!'... I ask one of my great customers who sends me about 12 deer a year and stopped by today 'whatcha think of this deer?'.... he freaking loved it! I have a huge Iowa buck on the wall, average antlers, huge Mears form, people look at that deer and drool!

Honestly, I HATE this one that we put up and out of the 4 we've mounted this week or the many we've put up this year, I hate this one the most, in literally ashamed of it..... people love it.

Moral of the story, give a good eye set, nice nose and most importantly a HUGE deer and they goo-goo-gaa-gaa over the damn thing. I think what little talent I had is ruining me internally, but what people want to see on the outside is making me larger as a business.

My brain hurts worse from thinking about this $hit then actually being in the shop and working on it.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Does that mean I should take you off my Christmas card list?

6. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    Ha George I love it! If me or my uncle (horsedoctor) are ever on the east side of the USA I hope you will let us pay you a visit. We may not always see eye to eye and that's what I like about you.

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Malt, you have it backwards, actually. I was involved initially with the prototype. Whats out there has my influence, but not my sculpting.

Guys, the bulge was put there for those who wanted more, their thinking was, its easier to remove then to add. Those who like it, leave it. Those who dont, easily rasp it down.

I hate to discredit anyone or their comments, but many comments about this form actually contradict other comments, I cant point them out without sounding defensive of McKenzie though. And lets face it, with the direction this post has taken, its is doomed if you know what I mean, lol. No use trying to support any of the features of the form now...

8. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Though I have struggled with this form, I will say it has the best lipline of any form I have used. I just wish I could piece together all my favorite qualities into one form, but that will never happen so my rasps will get plenty of work

9. George - I bet I could mount a deer on the 6900 form or even better yet what you call a POS Meder form and whip your a$$. I just don't understand you, if you don't like the form don't use it and shut the hell up! Let the rest of us decide for ourselves.

10. George

Jim your comments are about as useful as windshield wipers on a cats ass. Why don't you just give it a rest. You're not smart enough or old enough to keep up with me. I've had my ass whipped by amateurs, so what. I could mount a deer with its skull screwed to a 2x4 wrapped in excelsior and sculpted out of potters clay and plaster of Paris that would look as good as Meder's form OR the 6900. I commented on it simply because I hear comments people wouldn't dare make around curmudgeons like you and I just felt it needed to be said in an open forum. So to coin a phrase from you, if you don't like what I have to say, then "shut the hell up" and skip over it.

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

You know, I had the best fish tonight. It was really good and I was pretty damn hungry after a good 14 hr day.

12. Brian Reinertson

Iowa
    Was it walleye Matt?

13. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I had halibut for dinner, does that count?

14. double barrel

double barrel New Member

" Some who knew I had some involvement on this will just say they hate it out of ignorance and jealousy. " Bill I said I didn't like the form before I knew you worked on it. Sorry if I offended you, I thought it was all Dennis Bien. I love his sculpting, and have his video mounting a deer. He seems like a nice guy that I'd like to meet. I've used Mck entirely for years, I love Mck, BUT, when they screw up, I think they need to hear about it. Like the 9600, I know I've used several that has the eye orbit lower on one side. All I'm sayin is if a company puts something diff. on the market, that's OK. But if they call it "anatomically accurate "and build it up to where it's better than Carters little liver pills and It's not then that's misleading the public just to sell sorry ass manikins. Especially when they have a "following" of newer taxidermists who don't know the difference. What gets me is,...when you open up the box and pull out one 69 and two regular forms, there is so much difference the thing looks like it's from outter space compared to the other two....AND, if It's so accurate then that means all the other regular Mck's are crap right? If that brisket is so accurate , why did it take so long for someone to notice it? If it's right then all the other ones are wrong, can't have it both ways.
    If someone don't like somebody on Tax-net, someone they don't know from Adam's housecat, it's usually because of something that person said. Next thing you know an arguement is started, namecalling, squabbling, chitslinging, and it's all fun. But, if someone dosen't like someone, that don't mean they're jealous, it just means they don't like them because of the way they run that piehole. If you think they are jealous maybe you need to go have your ego checked, lol! There are plenty on here that I admire, because of their talent, success, especially those running big shops making money doing what they enjoy, sometimes I kinda wish I was in their shoes. I admire them but I wouldn't call it jealousy.

15. Jim; we both know George is the type that hides behind his computer screen, claiming more knowledge than God. the type of guy that knows what is best for all. kinda sounds like the guy in the whitehouse. STICK TO MOUNTING CHICKENS GEORGE!!! Pete Lajoie (someone that uses shiit forms to make a GOOD living)

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Do we have s bunch of dislexic ****s here or what?!?! It's not 9600, stop typing that! Jeeze!! LOL

17. George

Pete, you and Jim would make a nice dance couple. That way you could pat each other on the back.

18. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Hey Mike, I'm certainly not dislexic, dumb as hell maybe , but not disclexitt. I reread what I write. I said 9600 because I meant 9600. I've used several of them. Never again.
    Open box, prep form, sand, cut lip slot, do clay work, completely rework the lower eye orbit, left turn so let's see. do I raise the left eye or lower the right? HUMMM! I agree with the guy who said he CAN rework a form, but prefers to take one out of the box that is in good shape and simply mount it up. Less work, time is money, right.? I like the look of 9600, but symetry is off. I've posted on this before with no luck. Just arguements as usuall. Is it poor sculpting or a flaw in the way they are produced?
    Someone said Mck made so many so fast and the keylocks get worn and halves don't line up right, I don't know , that's why I ask. If I had to use one or the other, I'd choose 6900. At least symetry is better. As much as we pay for these things, one shouldn't have to rework a form, too many good ones to choose from. Mck. should sell horseshoe rasps and call them, "goiter removers", I'm sure they'd sell like hotcakes.

19. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Doublebarrell...well then it wasnt you that I was referring to...I didnt say that anyone who didnt care for this form didnt like me either. Theres things I dont care for with it either. Cmon man.

20. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

That right there is funny. ;D ;)