1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Maceration Of A Mountain Lion Skull Cougar Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sea Wolf, Apr 6, 2013.

1. flintlough

flintlough Member

Texas
    Re: Maceration of a mountain lion skull

Thanks Sea Wolf. Love this thread, very clear and succinct. Things sure have come a long way from some of the very earliest posts on this website regarding bone cleaning.

I am amazed and impressed by the depth of knowledge that the members here (like you Sea Wolf) have. The way that the experts on this site go out of their way to help newer members is heartwarming.

Merry Christmas to all,
    Flint

2. Re: Maceration of a mountain lion skull

Just wanted to say that is an amazing, concise, well written post :) Exactly perfect for beginners. Thank you!

I have only ever macerated in warm weather, without a heater (in the UK, a challenge but occasionally it happens!!!) with skulls that were, let us say,'ripe', and apart from removing the head from the body and removing the larger chunks there was no way I was getting up too close and personal with it.

I have a quick question - is Dawn a liquid dish soap? I've not really heard of it before, not something I think we get in the UK. I use shops own biological washing powder.

3. stijn_

stijn_ New Member

Very nice tutorial.
    Is it bad to ad biological washing powder to the maceration process?
    Some tutorials say so...
    Thank you.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Dawn is a liquid dish soap used in the USA. I think a close comparison might be called "Fairy"?See if you can find a good quality liquid dish washing liquid. Not a cheap one and it should not be really runny and watered down. If there is an uncolored one it might be preferable to one that has dye in it but even the blue Dawn we have here is good 99.9% of the time. For the maceration/rotting.cleaning part of the process, don't add anything at all to the water. Water only. I even experimented with adding beer and it didn't make anything happen faster/better and just wasted the beer.

5. Sea Wolf

tt

6. jfake

jfake Member

Sea wolf. You said do not use a metal bucket. Makes sense. What if it is a water trough for cattle. Would this work?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

7. Sea Wolf

Would be just fine if it was plastic or resin. Do not use any sort of galvanized metal. Also bear in mind that you should be changing out half the water at around the 5 day mark. Big, unwieldy containers make this difficult to do.

8. Sea Wolf

Fixed broken pictures.

9. Truckless Yooper

Truckless Yooper New Member

This is a very helpful post. Well written, detailed and I plan on coming back to this for reference. Thank you for sharing.

10. Paskullls

Paskullls New Member

Very helpful thanks for posting it
    One question
    You said 80/90F for cleaning
    115F for degrees
    I always thought 115/120 for cleaning and degrees