1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

4th deer post 2

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by just learnin, Apr 7, 2013.

1. just learnin

just learnin Member

trying to figure out how to get these photos uploaded. So here are the rest.

Attached Files:

2. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Look at reference eyelashes should be angled downward

3. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

Is that all you see.

Left ear is lower than the right, both ears are down on the neck, eye work is all jacked. Eyes look sunken and are not the right shape. Get yourself some help by either a good DVD or a workshop.

4. deadstuff

deadstuff Member

Your eye shape is off quite a bit, the eyes shouldnt be round ( REFERENCE ) you need to carve out your tear ducts so you can tuck them in ( REFERENCE ). Your right ear is too low and the left ear is way, way too low. Thats probably enough to look at for now. Stand directly in front of your mount and look at those ears, you really need to check out some good reference and study it for a while before starting your next one. Good luck.

5. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

I'd like to emphasis how important the deer form is. That is your foundation. Much the same way you can't build a decent house without a solid foundation, you need to save up a couple dollars more next time & order a better quality "shoulder" form. It will be easier to learn the proper symmetry on a quality form. Get one with a turn to it they look more natural.
    I personally suggest using Revolution forms. There are several other competitive quality forms as well.

Your mount also looks to have a very nice mature set of antlers on a scrawny necked cape. It may be that the neck form is misleading to the eye, however, for future reference be sure to try & match a mature rack with a mature cape.

A couple pics of the sides & nose would help us help you as well. I know your still working on your technique & learning the mounting process, so just stick with it & over time you'll get the hang of it. Be sure to use good reference pics, & even a couple casts of noses or eyes can be helpful.

6. just learnin

just learnin Member

thanks, had to use neck mount customer cut the cape way to short.

7. Customer?

8. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Well on a positive note, your ear edges dont look too bad.....

9. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

With the name just learnin and this being your fourth deer, why on earth would you have a customer? In my opinion, You are NOT even close to ready for a customer, unless the customer is a friend and is not paying anything beyond materials.

10. just learnin

just learnin Member

Thats correct, I would not think of charging anything above materials. Not until I pass muster, so look for another set of photos soon. thanks

11. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

:-X WOW (A to Z DVD)

12. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Sorry if I sounded harsh. It was not my intension. The more you do the better you will get. If you invest in training of some sort, dvds, books, reference, etc., it would really save you some time on the learning curve. Attending a taxidermy school or training with a pro would really be beneficial if you are wanting to go into business.

13. just learnin

just learnin Member

No problem, I'm a big boy. I took a class(evidently not a very good one), every deer i do i find something else i did'nt know. I think one of my biggest problems is getting the correct manikin size, appreciate the help.

14. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

I also recommend Rick Carter's Whitetail A-Z DVD. Also, look on this site under reference pictures at deer eyes. Hold the pictures up to your eyes. Not even close in shape. Look under the tutorials under how to clay the eyes and you'll get a better idea of eye shape. Move the ear butts up much higher. Keep at it.

15. Well I am no Pro no Expert, I am learning the art, (Now I am not knocking any classes or instructors out there this is how it worked for me)
    here is the thing about taking classes, In the classes they teach you how to do an animal 1 time with them helping a lot!! so you have a really awesome looking mount! Then when you do the same one on your own it looks like garbage. I had this with my first Duck. Looked really good, My second looked like trash, third and fourth are getting better and i can see my own improvements looking back at each one. So just stick with it and keep some reference photos handy while you work! The more you stare at pictures and study the details the more your work will improve!!

16. just learnin

just learnin Member

thanks, appreciate all the input.

17. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Did you pay for the class? I hope not.....

18. well you learned basics you did get it mounted i think a good work shop would do wonders and it was allready said once a good quality manikin would help

19. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

It's not so much on the classes you take, but rather what you see and interpret with your eyes. Each time you mount a deer or look at reference pictures, you will see things. Not just deer, but anything for that matter. Some people catch on early in their process, others it will take time and repetition. we all don't have the same learning curve.

20. Badgerland

Badgerland Quality taxidermy & quality deer capes.

FYI- Whenever you take a class or see a seminar, Take notes. Lots of notes. Even when you watch a dvd like Rick Carter's a to z, take notes. It will shorten your learning curve because you can have them right next to you while you mount. Same goes for your references, right next to you while you mount.

I recently started using my laptop to access pics on line & then I have a nice 8x10 color pic right on my screen.