1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Your taxidermy displays at local events?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Nina Lukaszewicz, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I remember the first big show we had a booth at. It took up three spaces. The results were terrific. We gained more customers from that event than anything we had ever participated in. Always have something unusual to attract attention. A possum hanging from a branch or a mounted skunk will attract more attention than all the deer combined. We had purchased pens with our name and phone number on them. One lady called me months later and said her husband wanted to contact me, but had lost my card. She rummaged around in her purse and found that pen. I have done THOUSANDS of dollars in work for them! That 15 cent pen netted a tremendous return!

3. clewis

clewis New Member

I do this every year at my local sports show (about 25,000 attendees) as well as have a smaller table display at local sporting goods stores when they have special events. It takes a little time but the publicity is well worth it. I have also met some very nice people and established relationships with gjuide services, conservation groups and others that have proved beneficial. Keep it up

4. double barrel

double barrel New Member

Hey Nina, we'd all love to see pics. of the booth. I've done 3. They are a lot of work, but I think they are worth it. The first one I done was at a big fall festival, with thousands of people. I had fun that day. I didn't have a clue how to go about it. With two booths, lots of people looking and taking cards. Finally a got my daughter and granddaughters passing out cards to anybody and everybody who walked by. It was shoulder to shoulder 4 wide going both ways for several hours. Around Halloween, so I had plastic pumkins full of candy . When the kids would come up to the table, I had a bobcat on a log, instead of a sign, "do not touch", I would encourage them to pet that kitty and when they would put their hand up there reluctantly, I would wait till they almost touched it and go "ARRH! and they'd snatch their hand back all scared and I'd LMAO! I'd laugh at my grandaughters, they MADE everyone take a card, wheather they wanted one or not. One older woman took a card, looked at it and handed it back, shaking her head,"I don't have no use for this", she said, me laughing all the time. I guess she was an anti.
    I saw people I hadn't seen in 20 or 30 years, I had a hoot. One guy walked up, looked, stood there and said, " you remember me? You mounted a deer for me a long time ago. I said, yes I do, I painted a pic. for you too of your girlfriend, and another one of your son. He said, yes you did and I still have them". That was about 1978 or so.
    I was so excited, promoting my buss., having fun, so excited I didn't even eat and only sit down once or twice.
    I bought a tent as it was outside. My son set it up outside and one day it was rainnig, I had a fever and was looking out the window, watching the tent filling up with water, with the top all sinking down, but I wasn't about to go out in the rain, me already sick, so I just watched it fill up untill "Kaboom!", the tent collapsed from the water bending all the alumminum rails. I said Sh%&#@T, 140 bucks down the drain, with the show a week away. I went and bought another tent and the morn of the show, it looked like fair weather so I never set the tent up at all. Beautiful day, had a blast. I didn't make amillion bucks, but I did get some work from it. One woman walked up, leaned over a whispered to my wife," ya've got the best lookin booth out here." Good memories.

5. I've done this a couple of times and built a booth. What I did was something people never see around my area. Over the course of one weekend I mounted five deer while in the booth. A lot of people are intrigued by taxidermy. I didn't set up a booth to teach them so I don't go into that mode. I do however mount a head and explain some of the real basics behind taxidermy. People really enjoyed the booth and have asked me to come to other events but because of a busy schedule haven't been able to do more than three.

6. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

nina, i see your from sw PA...im north of pittsburgh a little ways and did a booth at one of the yearly fur auctions...thru the PA trappers association...went over real well. alot of people called to have something they had trapped mounted.try to find one of those events around your area...I wasnt nearly prepared. ran out of cards and brochures way to fast.

7. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

P.S. I had a lifesize coyote laying with squirrel in mouth and a raccoon lifesize on table with tanned pelts also...deer mounts behind me....the table was open to anyone to touch and play...it went over really well.

8. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

I do several a year. The biggest conversation starter..... a hanging dead coyote mount. People LOVE those freaking things. I bet I've mounted an extra 75 deer the last 3-4 years because of the attention and conversation it creates. Take plenty of cards and bring a HUGE bowl of candy. People can't resist.