1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

re-using Pickle

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by theguyyouknowtaxidermy, Apr 10, 2013.

1. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Can I keep re-using my pickle if i monitor it, and maintian the a good ph level?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Many of us just use a fresh batch. A "dirty" pickle contains extraneous material that you can't be sure of. The pH is but one part of a larger process and matching cost versus worth, pickle acid is pretty cheap.

3. theguyyouknowtaxidermy

theguyyouknowtaxidermy The Guy You Know Taxidermy<Daniel Elkins>

Thanks George.
    It pickle is cheap compared to customers capes. I have been sending my stuff out, but it is fun to go back to the basics of tanning every now and then when I have nothing else going.

4. BRTX

BRTX New Member

I did a little testing with some of my own capes this year with Ultimate Acid this year. Mixed up a batch, and the pH held steady for 4 days without additions, for the first cape. Brought the pH down and added the second cape. This time it took 2 adds in 5 days. By the time the 3rd cape was done, I had to add more acid than it would have taken to make up a new batch. Back to making a new batch for each cape for me.

5. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

I reuse it all the time with no problems. I put about 75 hides in it a year and make a new batch each year. My pickle is about 50gal.
    My pH will stay good as long as I don't add a hide to a batch that is all ready in the pickle.
    I do wash and degrease all my hides after skinning and be for salting keeping my pickle clean. Then I wash off the salt and put it in the pickle.

6. Add Alum to your pickle and it will last for years.

7. George

WHAT? That's a crop of crap. This is a prime reason to have your hides professionally tanned. NOTHING will make a pickle last "for years" and using a pickle on "75 hides" makes no sense either. A gallon of acid is 128 ounces and with an ounce to a gallon of water you could make one helluva lot of strong pickle baths that wouldn't be contaminated. If $40 a gallon for acid is too expensive to insure quality work, you aren't charging enough to begin with.

8. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

If you want to wast time and money, go for it.

9. George

Well I'm hardly "wasting time" as a clean, clean, fresh batch would seem to permeate a hide better than a dirty/used one. As for "cost", it doesn't cost me anything. Each customer is paying me for it.

10. BRTX

BRTX New Member

I deal with acid on a daily basis. Not the piddly stuff like Safety Acid, or Ultimate Acid; I don't even use gloves for that stuff. I deal with 2000 gallon tanks of some serious acid. The biggest thing to remember is that there is a difference between "free" acid, and "total" acid. As your free acid drops, your pickle will not work as well. When you are measuring pH, you are measuring total acid. A fresh batch will ensure you have plenty of free acid to do the job well. In my test mentioned above, I not only monitored pH, but have the means to measure total acid. Not only do I think a fresh batch for each hide works better, the results of my test show that it is cheaper in the long run.