1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who do u consider a professional skull cleaner

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jason O, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    I am in no way knocking anybody methods. But I always see folks saying the professional guys and gals here ???
    Are u a pro cause u take a lot of heads, are you a pro cause u macerate , use beetles,simmer. I have only been in the skull business 5 years and went from doing 5 skulls a year to 250+ a year. I also have been doing taxidermy for 10 years averaging about 75 peices a year deer , fish, ect. I used to use beetles at a neighbors place and finish at my shop, then 4 years ago I bought out a guy who has been doing skulls for 35 years. He showed me his way of simmering and that's the way I have been doing it since. Minus the bird skulls and such. I degrease and still macerate some stuff. I do my best to turn out a good project and still treat it like a business. I don't consider myself a pro. I leave that to my day job.
    Jason

2. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Well technically professionals are just the people who clean skulls as their job for a living. It doesn't necessarily mean somebody's an expert.

As to what makes an expert, hrmm... a huge amount of knowledge and experience and the ability to handle any type of issue that may come up in a skull? I'd consider people like Sea Wolf, Dog, etc experts

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Anyone who cares to turn out an A1 quality product and take the time and effort to do that without hiding defects and making excuses to the customer for a poorly done job is a pro. A Pro is someone who takes pride in their work because they KNOW they did a damned good job whether it be one skull or several hundred. And Dog is a pro because he is also crazy. :)

4. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    Yes , dog got it down pretty damn good

5. A client can tell you who the pros are. This is just my opinion................doesn't matter how you clean it, bugs macerate, whatever. DOES matter that you degrease entirely. If you don't, i would call you a hack. How you whiten the skull doesn't really matter to me as long as no bleach or chlorine is used. I still think that peroxide is the PREFERRED solution, but that's just me. Sea wolf said a lot that i agree with.
    A top notch quality job done in a timely manner that doesn't turn yellow and orange down the road. Anyone can produce a nice skull with little experience but to do it consistently takes some level of skill.
    Nice topic.

6. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    Skully you said it good. Also my topic should of said what instead of who

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    A "professional" gets paid to do a job, doesn't mean they know what they are doing. An "expert" is someone who knows everything about a subject. I feel that if you produce an end product, in a reasonable timeframe, that you and your customers are happy with, no matter what your choice of accepted methods, than you meet the requirements to be a knowlagable, respected professional.

8. well..............in my EXPERTYLY PROFESSIONAL OPINION..................i am the greatest!!! lmao ;D

9. hey, i was just kinda thinking about this thread and................if you want to show a client how good you are, try this. I have sent 3 of my personal skulls to other outfits for a complete cleaning and whitening. (my friend pretends they belong to him) Sure enough they all came back poorly done. One was yellow upon pickup, another was painted over and the third which looked half way decent turned absurdly orange in 6 weeks. i show these to new clients but do not say who did them. We all know that even the perfect skull will be less white in a few years, but it shouldn't change colors. anyway, was just a thought and many of us on here have seen many so called professionals come and go

10. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I wouldn't claim to know half of what some folks do about cleaning skulls, so don't take my post as me doing so. I say do the best you are capable of, the customers will let you know how you are doing. Skulley, that seems a little bush league to me. I would never show others poorly done work to make mine look better. Sooner or later that will bite you in the ass.

11. Sea Wolf

In an area with a lot of competition, it would certainly be a good demonstration of what to expect for the price you pay. Many of the "pro's" do charge a bit more because it does take longer and more materials to do a really good job. If you are competing with those that charge less, it is certainly a good idea to be able to show what that lesser amount of change will give you. He didn't mention names or talk down the competition. He had specimens of their work to be seen and customers can make an educated decision.

12. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

I agree with SeaWolf. He never said any names. Doesn't seem like a big deal. Besides, now he knows the work of his competitors AND he has some specimens to show his customers what a skull may look like when it's painted. Or not degreased long enough. It's always nice to have examples around because some customers may need to see what you're talking about instead of guessing on what you're saying.

13. If i were misrepresenting myself or others, then that would be bush league for me. It's definitely not to make mine look better, they look the same alone or next to another skull. All it does is show the differences and what will come down the road if not done properly.

14. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I'm sure in your developemental years, your skulls didn't come out perfect. Use them to show the difference in methods likely used by others and how you and your methods have advanced to put out a superior end product. I understand you don't mention any names but I still don't like the idea of using someone else's work, in my shop, to make mine look better.

15. Sea Wolf

In my "developmental years" .. I didn't charge people money to clean a skull for them. If you are charging money, then you owe your customer a good job. If all you are going to do is simmer a skull clean, then you should be doing that quality of work for free.

16. BRTX

BRTX New Member

I have recently thought about doing this. There are two hunting buddies at my day job. One bagged a nice buck that he wanted a European done. The other guy said he would do it for free. Started "Boiling" it, then gave it back to the owner to "finish cleaning". The owner brought it to me to finish. The skull still had the eyes and brain in, and took several weeks of degreasing. When he got it back, the owner was very happy. His hunting buddy, not so much. He asked what took so long to get it done, and what type of paint I used. I just chuckled and said "none".

17. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Sea Wolf, I will give you this, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to skulls and cleaning them and also seem willing to help answer questions folks have about the subject. I appreciate that. My point is, there are no set standards in this business and if there were it is possible that most including yourself might not make the cut. I use pretty much all of the accepted methods that I know of, on skulls and do the best I can to put out the best product I can. I'm sure there are better out there and that is fine with me, it pushes me to do better. I stand by my statement displaying other's work in your shop to make your work look better is bush league.

18. lol now thats funny brtx

19. 3bears we can disagree , i have no problem with that. I just hope you understand that it has nothing to do with making mine look better. They are the same alone or next to something else. Now, i guess i could have done a couple of skulls and not done them correctly instead, but for me that is no different than baking a cake without sugar. I post a few pics on here now and then and enjoy seeing others work, specimens whatever. I don't think that i have ever critiqued anyone's work or said that they are a hack. I certainly don't look down my nose at you if i think your product is substandard. I keep my mouth shut. But I also do this for a living and want my customers to know what today's acceptable standards are.

putting out a substandard product and charging the same amount or more is bush league for me. I hear your opinion loud and clear and respect that you have the conviction to stand by it. We just dissagree is all.

20. BWebbs31

BWebbs31 Classic Skull Mounts, LLC

Isn't a part of being a "professional" not critiquing the way other people run their own business, 3bears? Especially if it's what they do for a living, they must be successful enough in their ways to be able to do that.

Everybody will do something different, cuz you're right, there is so set standards. However, I don't ever remember seeing SeaWolf, Skulley, or Dog ever say anything about someone else's business being bush league. And in my opinion....that's as professional as it gets.