1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Who do u consider a professional skull cleaner

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Jason O, Apr 10, 2013.

1. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I never said skulley's business was bush league just that something he is or was doing is, in my opinion. Did he ask for it? No, but I gave it anyway. I guess my idea of ethics doesn't match some other's ideas, thats fine. I'm sure his work is top notch. I try not to critique the work of anyone who didn't ask for it. As Skulley put it we agree to disagree.

2. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Wolfie your right, I am crazy! Its all about producing a great head, while there are a couple of people on here that I go to with questions, thats not to say that all sorts of great ideas and methods don't come off this site. And new faces bring new ideas all the time. I know I have sent some heads home that I wish I could get back and some skulls are just too hard to tell if any color change will show up, you have to ballance quality with a respectable turnaround time also and sometimes that can be a difficult chore. I think a professinal is anyone who can produce a REPEATABLE clean white skull no matter the methods, some guys can boil and get great results, some can ruin by bugging. A pro is someone who is going to give you the same head back each time, to a degree, and do it quickly(this subject to change with species of course) and effectively and do what he/she can to please their customer.

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    now that was said very well.excellent answer

4. something for some of the younger / newer folks on this subject.............if you are having any troubles , try not to seal you stuff right away. If you send a deer skull home and it leaks a couple of spots of grease, no biggy. they can get it back to you and you can get it right. If it is sealed it becomes a lot of work. some of my customers prefer their skulls not be sealed. i educate them on the pros and cons and then try to guide them into sealing, sometimes they say no.

someone brought up there are no standards......3bears i think............for me the standards are complete degreasing, peroxide white, (i realize it's not a color, YET) ;)

so back to the question..........a professional receives money for cleaning skulls. that does not mean they are skilled and competent.

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    for me the standards are complete degreasing, peroxide white, (i realize it's not a color, YET)
    This I totaly agree with you, Skulley.

6. i will try to work on my ethics ;)

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    databoy ;)

8. I'll stay out. I'm not a professional.

9. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I never set out to be in the skull business...it just happened over time. My good friend Davidp wanted me to do a skull for him when he was in high school. I did such a pitiful job on the first skulls I had no way to go but better. I now do a 150-200 deer skulls annually, plus a variety of other skulls

10. Well said Dog!

It can be tough putting out a great product in a timely manner. Degreasing can be a biotch and I have had skulls go out the door that I wish I could have back as well. There seems to always be "that skull" that was degreased for weeks and seems to be perfect only to find out it turned a few months down the road. That is the hardest part (and most aggravating) of doing a professional job.

I have learned over the last couple of years that we are our own worst critics when it comes to how a skull looks. We notice things that most customers (hunters) dont even think about. Perhaps, that is another aspect that makes us "Professionals"! LOL

11. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

X2 on what JT just said. You look at the heads over and over for weeks and scrutinize every flaw...your customer will never even notice them. A head that turns after going home is really out of our control if it was sent back when it looked good, all a guy can do is offer to take it back and get it white again. I know why I make 60 cents a hour out there, because I put my customers first.

12. Dang.............60 cents huh? Tell ya what.............you come work for me, give ya 75 cents an hour plus food. what a deal huh? ;D

13. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

LOL

14. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    I'm out. I guit!

15. QUITTER !!!

16. Only difference between an amateur and a professional is $. This goes for anything that anyone does. There are different qualities between all of them as well. ;)