1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First deer on my own complete, (critique)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by dzimprich, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dzimprich

dzimprich New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THis is my first deer on my own, would love to here any critiques on it so i can improve on my next one :D
    Sorry about the sideways pictures, cant seem to figure out how to rotate them

2. Instincts

Instincts New Member

Keep in mind that I'm no pro and haven't got to mount a deer yet, but these are some things I would try to work on next time that I see:
    The nose looks like it needs to be pulled up, those little angles below the nostrils should be around the nostrils if you can understand what I'm saying there.
    The deers left eye, the pupil doesn't seem to be horizontal, it looks kind of diagonal, it may be the pic and eye shape is just a tad off in my opinion but I have definitely seen worse!
    The rosette on the brisket is off it looks like and more to the right of the deers chest than centered.
    I think the ears look pretty good.
    It looks like the hair pattern on the left lipline is pretty off and the back of the mouth should have just a slight upward turn to it instead of just straight across.

Again I'm not a pro and your mount looks a heck of alot better than the mount I had done "professionally" on my first deer I killed. I hope my first deer mount turns out as good, think you did a great job!

3. I also think the lips should be tucked more and it kind of looks like from the pics that the eyelashes aren't angled down enough.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Well there you have it, a critique from someone that has never mounted a deer, but just parrots what has been repeated from other critiques here a million times. I guess you don't have to mount a deer to be able to tell others how to.

5. I was waiting for that one "T". Took you longer that I thought, but I do agree with your inference.

6. Just to defend myself, I have mounted deer. Lol

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I would add that the nose pad is to low, and nose texture is extremely coarse and rough, smaller dabs of modge podge is all you need, and very little at that. The lips are under tucked, bury those lips hair to hair.

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

T....i always love your comments....lol! I agree...a critique from someone who hasn't mounted a deer is just comical!!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Instincts

Instincts New Member

Just because I haven't mounted a deer doesn't mean I don't know what to look for. Was I right or was I wrong? Even low T said the nose was too low. You guys need to quit making fun of people. I don't know everything but I do know that I'm not just "parroting" what people say on here. How could I be "parroting" when my comment was the first one? Thanks for being rude to a new Taxidermist, great way to push someone away from posting on this site. I was just trying to be helpful but instead was apparently just being 'comical' for telling dzimprich what I saw that could use improvement.

I should also add that I have HELPED mount deer, just have not done one on my own. It's not like I don't have any experience at all.

10. dzimprich

dzimprich New Member

Thank you for the critique! I agree with what you said and it seems like a very legit critique to me, I know im no pro at doing them yet. Im sorry everyone is getting on you about your critique, but thank you for it.

11. verne

verne Well-Known Member

If you keep at it :eek: you will improve ;D have fun.

12. Instincts

Instincts New Member

I'm glad you appreciated it, that's all that matters :) It's not your fault others have to be so rude. Your deer looks very good for your first, I really think you did a great job on your first solo. Can't wait till my mentor cleans his freezer and donate some capes lol!

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nobody was rude. Do you need a tissue?

14. Instincts

Instincts New Member

I don't need a tissue but think you need to get off your high horse and get an attitude adjustment for criticizing someone for trying to provide another with information and your sarcasm is uncalled for and very unprofessional. It is rude to just assume I know nothing about the subject just because I have not mounted a deer on my own. When you assume it makes an a** out of u, not me.

15. You know what, I've "HELPED" lay brick before but that doesn't make me a mason, nor does it give me the ability to critique a brick laying job. If i did I would be "parroting". You ARE "parroting". You may be correct with the problems you see...It's his FIRST deer, almost every first deer have the same problems. You've offered no explanation as how to fix the problems you see, other than pulling the nose pad up which is pretty selfexplanatory. How about offering your experience as to why he may be having the problems AND, more importantly, a solution to the problems you are pointing out. Your critique doesn't help him fix his problems. When I've posted cr*p on here for critique, and I mean cr*p!!! I hated seeing posts that offered no solution to my problems. Offer a solution! I'm sure if it's not correct someone will chime in.

16. Instincts

Instincts New Member

Fine here's an explanation of how to fix the things I pointed out enough though some are obvious.
    Nose pad: taxi the nose pad back towards the eyes until the pad matches up to the nostrils you have rasped/dremeled out. Be sure the tod of to nose pad is on the 'wing' of the nasal passage.
    Pupil: shine a light on the eye when setting and make the pupil as horizontal and even with the other as possible, take a level and look at the deer head on to check symmetry.
    Rosette: taxi the skin to a centered position and then step back and look, use a ruler to check.
    Lipline: tuck up and back at an angle towards the eye first, being careful to leave hair on hair but not tuck too much and shift other areas.

Also the lower lip is a little too long, should be even or just slightly longer than the bottom of the nose pad.

And for you critiquing a brick laying job, I'm sure if you saw something wrong you could definitely point it out and may know how to avoid such a mistake. God help you guys for downing a girl trying to help someone. Get over yourselves.

17. Pointing out problems on a FIRST isn't helpful without offering a reason why it may have happend in the first place. Why it happend, how to fix it and/or how to avoid the problem in the first place is helpful. Even though it's his first, I bet he can see most of the problems. If your gonna point out a problem, give a solution. I don't see where anyone was rude in any post on this topic, blunt maybe, but not rude.

18. Get yourself some good reference, and study it, use it when you mount your next deer.. reference is the key!! Don't guess where you think things go or belong..

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. StufferIII

StufferIII New Member

Instincts,

You go girl!
    I have been on here for years and have seen critiques from season taxidermist that have no idea what they are even saying let alone on how to even fix the problem.

20. Honestly, If you have plenty of reference pic's and you use them, and you can't tell what is wrong with your work...critiques will not help to much in the end. You need to be able to read reference for yourself to advance very far in quality.