1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2013 Fishing Thread

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by RichMO, Apr 13, 2013.

1. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

After this week I thought it would be a good idea for posting memorial fishing trips. Mine started out with a trip to crappie fish on Lake Sardis in Mississippi. The day before we were to get a guide (not knowing where to go we decided to fish below the spillway and on the 4Th cast with a crappie jig I hooked into a 6 lb. Bass. Then that night we had terrible storms with tornado hitting just 4 miles north and rain all the next day (outfitter canceled and now hooked us up with another for Friday) well we fished in the rain caught our limit and then again on Friday with the guide. Now have 4 White Crappie in the freezer all at 16". Next year back down south but only to Lake Grenada looking for the 18" White Crappie....... Lets see your catch and hear the story......

Attached Files:

2. S Ponder

S Ponder New Member

Shellcraker repo

3. Did not take pictures. Last April 6, I took a man and his son out on White River for rainbow trout. The man has bone cancer and three weeks ago had his jaw removed. Anyway we caught somewhere around 20 rainbow trout. Nothing to brag about in size.

4. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Very nice fish.

5. RichMO

RichMO Well-Known Member

Perca, Nice Crappie.... I do like the ruler you used. Just wondering if the conservation officer would accept it.. LOL..

6. wishbone

wishbone New Member

ruler looks good to me?

7. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Here are a couple of bream. Nothing big yet LoL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Love the colors on those bream. Nice Crappy too, wow..

My fishing has been slow so far. I've caught 1 smallie and 2 largemouth. The biggest LM was around 3lb and thats it. The Potomac is on fire right now if anyone lives close. Red rattletraps and Chatterbaits are working. My kid finished 3rd and 5th this weekend in 2 tournaments with 17.07 and 19.5 lbs respectively (5fish). That was worth a few thousand $$$ for the weekend of fishing.

Some buddies went down to fish with him today and tomorrow. They caught a bunch. The biggest around 5.5lb.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I went to a local lake the other day and tore them up. The water is warming and I found it to be anywhere from 53* to 59*. This is a lake with a 15 inch size limit and under normal circumstances you're lucky to get a limit of 3 in a day. In 4 hrs I caught 12 over 15in and 6 under 15... No pics, I was by myself and didn't feel like taking the time to mess with it, they were biting !

I wanted to share a technique with you bass fisherman that has been out for several years, but most people never really tried it. It's called swimming a jig. Very easy and effective to do. I use a 1/4 oz Bass jig with a plastic craw for a trailer. All you do is chuck it out and wind it in slowly just like you would a spinnerbait. Basically that's exactly what it is, a spinnerbait without the blade. If I come to a tree I drop it in there like you normally fish a jig. Then as I move to the next tree I swim it along the way. I got 5 of those keepers flippin' and 7 swimmin' it. All 18 were on the same lure, so it's versatile. I've used this to catch them here in PA, in the Potomac and at Rayburn in Texas so it works all over. The key is having confidence it will work.. It will, try it sometime.

I'm going out tomorrow afternoon. If they bite, I'll get pics. We had a cold front come through today. It's cold, wet and miserable. Snowed this morning, but tomorrow is to be nice so who knows, but I wanted to share "swimming a jig" with you guys.

10. Glenn M

Glenn M Well-Known Member

Nice tip ea , are you shaking the rod tip as you reel it back ?. I fish a gitzit like that too, i'll let it sink to the bottom and slowly reel it back with no rod movement. I learned how effective it can be when I took my brother ( who never fishes) out one day, He didn't know the traditional way of fishing tubes and would just cast out and reel it back slow, well after he started catching huge bass I started watching how he was working it lol
    somedays they seem like they want a different or unique way of retrieving it. I was in a tourney one time and watched this guy catching nice bass on a tough high pressure day, he was swimming a texas rigged senko with lots of tip action, i don't know how uch weight he had on, but it sounded like he was throwing rocks in when he made a cast lol

11. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Thanks Glenn, I hope it puts some fish in the boat for you guys. I love fishing a tube, but I don't recall just winding it in slowly. It always a drag or a hop I'm going to have to give it a try.

As far as the Swimmin' Jig, I don't use any rod action. I just chuck and wind slowly.

Today my cousin and I hit the lake. Last night was frigid (30*) and the Water temp was 51* to start. The lowest we saw was 49* and the warmest in late afternoon got to 54*.. We like to throw some competition into our fishing and one rule we have is we cannot throw the exact same lure. It can be same size, but not same color or same color, but not same brand etc.. Also when we were prepping the boat I asked "Do we want the net"? My cousin says "It will be more challenging without it" So it went back in the truck ::)

First stop I had one in the first 5 min.. I then told my cousin what I was doing with the jig. Being a little hard headed, he stuck with a black tube.. At one point it was 8-0 me and he had thrown a tube, a senko, a lizard, a jerkbait, AND a shakyhead worm. He then put on his jig and I even waived Our "No Same Lure Rule", but he wanted to use his own jig/color combo.. Long story short, I ended up with 15 fish. 5 were keepers over 15 in. I lost something huge, but didn't get to see it clearly. I think it was a BIG Smallie, but may have been a musky. I just got a flash and my line was nicked up a little.

My cousin ended up with 4 fish. 2 were over 15 in keepers. And the worst part was he had a Smallie that would have gone around 4lb, but lost it right at the boat as he sat down to lip it.. LOL.. Had we brought the net, he would have landed it easy. It was flopping beside us for 30 seconds.. :)

Here are 2 pics I took. (cell phone :p)The fish were smaller today. The bucks were still on the bank, but the cold seemed to push the bigger females deeper. We did get a couple over 3lb though and we each lost a couple fish. Correction: I misspoke they were not all caught swimming it. All 19 fish we landed today were caught on the jig. Most swimming it, but a couple were caught flipping.

[​IMG][​IMG]

12. den007

den007 Active Member

Hard fighters, and tasty beyond belief!

Attached Files:

• trig.JPG
      trig.JPG
      File size:
      78.7 KB
      Views:
  13. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Is that a Pompano den ?

14. Those are Trigger Fish

15. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

I have eaten triggerfish before...and they are the tasty fish...but if you ever eat a tripletail, you will never go back to triggerfish.

16. den007

den007 Active Member

Yep, those are triggers. Skin is really tough, but you can't pop a scale. I have skin mounted a few, but they are challenging. Some nice castings available, and they are really easy to cast, except for the long "trailers" on the fins of the queen triggers.

17. K.N Fish Taxidermy

K.N Fish Taxidermy Kenneth Newton Phone#804-867-7736

Here is a nice bass my little bother caught on a texas rigged worm while kayak fishing. 21" 5lbs. Had him spinning in circles lol!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. I took my 2 boys and my friends 2 kids to the pier this past Saturday and killed the pompano.

19. Sorry can't get the picture to load

20. One of many days fishing with my Dad. We had our limit of crappie by 11 am this morning with several 14-15". He is 73 now and we both act like kids again when on the water, love him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]