1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

is there a legal way?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Orkman-X, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

I was thinking of cleaning some raw skulls this summer of american native game like beaver, badger, kitfox, lynx, bobcat etc.. no weird things. I responded to a few offers in the 'for sale' section while stating that I live in Europe.
    Now for all clarity, I don't want no legal trouble nor do I want any for any sellers.
    Some people replied that they lacked the necessary export permit which is apparently rather pricy, others reacted that they didn't know or that these animals were cites-listed.

can anyone shed some light on this since I don't know the fist thing about american law in this matter but more importantly if there is a legal way to send let's say some raw beaver and badger heads oversees?

thanks in advance, if there is no way, I'll just throw the idea on the large pile of other disappointments :)

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

All wildlife requires an export permit from the USF&WS. Not just CITES animals.Yes, it can be done, but it's a long, drawn out process. AND EXPENSIVE.

3. I think they might be a bit smelly too boot by the time they got to you , if they got there at all.

4. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

so....

this sounds insane to you all?

these skulls are littering ebay etc on a daily basis and getting shipped out just the same. worst quality too.

but I can't buy any raw heads to do em myself.

besides, an alaska -> texas vs NY -> london, which would smell harder :)

5. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

The US people on eBay selling skulls overseas are breaking the law though, if they get found out they'll have to face heavy fines and/or jail time.

Sucks, but we sure are strict over here. The only way it'd be worth it to export is if you were getting an extremely large order, from what I hear

6. Skulls must be free of flesh before they can legally leave the country I believe. So Its not crazy... Just impossible.

7. Orkman-X

Orkman-X New Member

alright, many thanks for clearing this up guys.

too bad, another idea for the shelves.