1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolverine/fisher mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by double shovel, Apr 15, 2013.

1. double shovel

double shovel SilverWillowTaxidermy

This was a fun project I got to do for a customer who told me kind of what he wanted to see and let me go to it. I decided in this project I was going to try and build a tree after reading the article in Breakthrough and talking to Bill Neuman at the Montana show. We followed the article to a T and I think the final outcome of the tree looks good, I would do it again. I also built it to come apart so it would make transport easier. The porcupine was also fun to do as well. The blood was a paint mixture mixed up with smooth cast to give it some depth and make it look like it is fresh. I didn't want to make a murder scene but get the point across the porcupine is dead. The tree started out as a piece of plywood then foam poured around it,shaped, cut then I went and gathered some bark and brought it into the shop and used smooth on spray mold release and sprayed the bark. Then I took regular bathroom caulking and applied it to the bark and pushed a piece of window screen into it for strength and left it over night. Then the next day I covered the foam in mache 1/2" thick and proceeded to use my texture mold in the mache (note soaking it in water before each application) Let it set up and pulled it apart at the seam and let it set up for a a couple days and applied the paint. The knot I just used apoxy clay and made what I thought was a knot of frayed pieces and as it set up, I wire brushed it and scratched it. Once it was dry I gave it a wash with black paint and then touched it up with the airbrush. Darren Mohler did the wood work.
    Thanks,
    Curtis
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

WOW Outstanding work.

3. cattrax

cattrax Beats being in the shop!

Alright Curtis!! Great job!

4. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Impressive!

5. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

very nice mount

6. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Outstanding piece!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

7. falco

falco Trapping is fun

Very cool bud,
    Nice tree. nice mounts.

8. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

This is simply amazing!

9. Megan :)

Megan :) Well-Known Member

wow that is nice!

10. very nice
    greetings from Holland
    Henk

11. That's awesome! I recently finished a fisher and almost did something similar. I also had a porcupine I was going to use with it but I chickened out. Now I wish I had used it. I did mount my fisher in a stalking pose, so maybe down the line I can add a porcupine to the scene. Thanks for the inspiration! You did a great job!

12. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

Poor fisher's not having a very good day. Awesome job on both the tree and the animals

13. Matt

Matt Active Member

Beautiful work!

14. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

15. WILD BROOKIES

WILD BROOKIES JOIN EBTJV SAVE A RESOURCE

nice touch on the stickers in the fisher

16. dakotabill

dakotabill Member

Great job Curtis, Its always nice to be able to create a tree or limb from scratch and not have to spend a liftime looking for the perfect piece(expecially when you have little resources). Im glad I could help you out with the article.

17. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

Stunning piece!!!