1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Front corner of eye drumming

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JerseyJays, Apr 16, 2013.

1. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

Hey, what do you all do with the front corner of the eyes to stop them from drumming? I can't get pins to hold in the artificial heads..

I don't use any clay, if I put a roll of clay around the eye would that help hold the skin down?

I've only done a handful of ducks and pheasants and notice that is a tough area to keep down, but in all te photos of everyone's work I never see any pins in the head, but everything I read says pin the ear and eye down....

I used super glue, and it oozed out a little and got on the eye..

What other options? I was thinking about heating a needle to melt the head as I pin, but I think that would lead issues when I pull it out..

Thanks!

2. Paul C

Paul C New Member

If the skin is pulling away any where around the eye its because it was too dry when you left it. Clean your eyes with a wet paper towel on a needle and it will wet the eye skin and the eye and create a bond between the two. No glue needed.
    If youre still having trouble you might try setting your eyes in Critter Clay. The clay will help reinforce the aforementioned "bond".

3. As Paul and Feather said, if the eyelid is wet it will adhere well to the eye as it drys. Some issues they didn't mention that may be of assistance would be to make sure that you are using an eye with the proper contour which will make it easier to get the proper shape. If you are using some of the really flat glass eyes out there I could see it being harder to keep that skin from drumming out.
    Also if you want to pin the front corner of the eye, I can recomend Ted Weyenberg's heads. He pours the "skull" portion with a lighter foam-type material that accepts pins well not to mention their quality is outstanding.
    http://www.worksofartwaterfowlstudio.com/pricing.html

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Feather you might want to check your reference for your head neck junction.

5. Riverland

Riverland New Member

As far as the eye drumming birds are like anything else. If you have to fight it and pin it to keep it in place something is out of alignment. If it is a comercial head it doesn't always mean the eye hole is in the right place. I always drill them larger and replace with clay and set them thru the lid as the last thing I do. A wet qtip head left in the eyelid will make it plyable and and easier to set the lids.

6. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

To discuss further...

I an using heads with eyes installed purchased through matuska..
    The skin does not need to be pulled to reach, it lines up with the eye pretty well..
    I spray water on the eye skin frequently, and stays good until dry, then it drums off the plastic head in front of the eye causing a gap where the nic membrane should be

7. PJD

PJD New Member

Im not claiming to be the best eye setter, but I put a thin layer of caulk around almost everyting as im putting them together, even around the eyes, it can be tricky, caulk is my best friend and worst enemy, but everything stays, it dries fairly slow giving u some work time too.

8. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

I use a ring of apoxysculpt around the eye, and after gluing the bill, when working the eye skin, I will press that skin into the sculpting material. This seems to work well for me.

9. deadstuff

deadstuff Member

Agree with Riverland 100%. IMO you probably have something taxied wrong that is causing your drumming problem. Look hard at some refference and compare, or maybe post some pics. Early on I had problems like this and I've learned over the years that at least 90% of the time I had something out of place.

10. cheap buy it at wal-mart Caulk works the best for me push it through the eye drum hole all around the head with a curved syringe needle good luck

11. brian k

brian k New Member

I started using heads from work of art taxidermy. the head part is foam and take pins easy has made my eye work 100% easyer and better.

12. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Forget pins. Not needed. That skin is too tight and you may not have taxied enough skin from the neck. If its too dry and can't move much, use the super gel you used to attach the skin around the bill, glue the eye skin.