1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ruined chipmunk

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by niffles, May 22, 2007.

1. niffles

niffles New Member

My cat nailed a chipmunk on sunday, We just learned how to skin mink in Agricultural science so I figured what the heck Ill give it a try. About 30 minutes later I was sure I would never eat again...But I had a very nice little chipmunk "skin" minus the tail. Dad said "Oh yea lori, all you have to do is pour salt on it, wait a few days, and then rinse it off." so I skinned salted rinsed and I got maggots. I dont like to give up on anything just because I screwed it up the first time so could some one please tell me what I have done wrong.

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

You need to find out how to tan a skin. There are many books and videos on the subject, available from the taxidermy supply companies.

Next time you get something skinned, be sure to flesh all the meat and membrane off. Salt it to keep it preserved until you are ready to tan. Salt is not a tan, it just keeps the skin stable and dry until the tanning process is started.

don't worry now though, it's just a chipmunk, they are replaceable. lol

3. niffles

niffles New Member

I feel like I insulted the little bugger. I know how to skin, its the rest of the process thats got me mixed up. Some one told me to rub brains on it, is there any truth to that?

4. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

http://www.braintan.com/

http://papa.essortment.com/smallhideshow_rioi.htm

there's some links

5. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

no brains unless you are a zombie - BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. jessicaj

jessicaj New Member

for a chipmunk if you want a cheap easy tan use mink oil, used for water proofing boots but it will tan squirrels and chipmunks to, did a red squirrel close to 11 years ago and it's still in perfect shape. Salt it to help get all the meat and membrane off, once you have it ALL off wash it really good to get all the salt out, take a small board and some thumb tacks and stetch it out on the board and tack it all the way around the edges than cover the skin in mink oil, if you have a nice warm sunny day let it sit in the sun to help absorb the oil. Oil it until it won't soak in any more oil and whoa la, you have a tanned chimpunk.

7. hybrid

hybrid New Member

seriously.............you kick ass! Ive been looking for this information forever! I have little interest in doing full out taxidermy but wanted to utilize any skins I can when hunting!

THANKS!

http://papa.essortment.com/smallhideshow_rioi.htm

8. kjs92681

kjs92681 Yall com back na, ya hea !

brain tanning is nasty, but if you do it you g=have to boil the brains first, google BRAIN TANNING, you will find some interesting stuff. thats how the natives did it