1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

needing help with starting my business

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by susananderson1973, Apr 16, 2013.

1. I am trying to start a business in taxidermy and I'm not having any luck in it. Is there something that I can do other than putting out card and putting it in the newspapers.There is a taxidermy on just about every corner here where I live please give me some advice on what to do.

2. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Move

3. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

More seriously, do it because you enjoy it or keep your day job and get into it gradually. I've run numbers and I don't see how 90% of taxidermists make a decent living at it.

4. People dont bet a path to anyone door. In taxidermy it may take 5-10 years to build a solid client list. This is not retail you are selling a service and that may be your down fall. Selling your self!

5. Man it takes years you just have to make your work stand out people will come

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

X2 what everyone said.But the internet is a great source to start off with.You could start some pages and websites get some new customers expose some people to taxidermy that would not other wise. Go to some hunters safety courses.

7. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Newspaper ads are basically a waste of money...sorry. You need some allies and ambassadors. Begin by visiting sporting goods stores. Offer to place mounts there. Be sure your work is totally different than anything else there...a squirrel or raccoon holding a business card holder with your cards, a gigantic repro fish...huge repro bream usually attract attention. Other allies are people who represent wildlife organizations such as NWTF, DU, etc. You might have a display at their banquets. Charitable groups that host hunts for handicap individuals usually want someone to have displays at their gatherings. Two things that will absolutely not increase your income are giving away your work and pricing substantially lower than your peers. Finally, if you have a booth at a wildlife expo, hire two college girls to pass out your cards!

8. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I have tried every form of advertising out there and non of it beats word of mouth! The best thing you can do is mount a deer for the most arrogant, braggadocios deer hunter in your area! If you do a good job.....he will put you in business!

9. I am a female not a male.

10. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

X2. Your work is the best business card. I have son's of fathers I did work for 20 years ago asking for me at the local gun shops. I keep business cards there and at the lake. This weekend is our annual trout derby. I'll be out there "Wowing the Catch". Especially for the kids!

11. smittys llc

smittys llc New Member

NOT a good time to start a Taxidermy Business! This economy has done a number on this industry!My advice for you is to get a 4 year degree or train/work under a established shop.Pt metality in todays economy WILL NOT MAKE THE CUT! You either live it 24/7 or FAIL.

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Consider taxidermy supplemental income. Very few individuals make their living entirely from taxidermy.

13. thank you for helping me out

14. Ustor

Ustor New Member

As many have said, it is a slow process. I am a hunter, fisherman and shooter. You need to get some "bait" in the water or in other words some mounts on the street with your name attached. My local gun club let me hang a couple of ducks and a deer head 20 years ago. Since most members knew me, it was not a streach for them to inquire directly with me. You would be suprised how word of mouth travels, especially if you do quality work at a fair price. Quite frankley, there is really a lot of "bad" taxidermy out there so a quality piece can really generate business. Gun clubs are a great place to have fun and generate some business. Good luck. PS... don't think you will get rich in taxidermy...you will not....rather enjoy the art and any money made is a bonus.

15. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    Mark Maier (that's also his handle on this site) gave a really good business seminar at the Ohio show...he moved to a new area and took in maybe 20-30 heads the first season and 70 or so this past season. The main thing I took from the seminar was having good signage in high traffic areas...anyways, you may want to reach out to him, he's sharp.

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

1) Word of mouth; 2) webpage (have lonepine aka Ed wooly do it. He does great work); 3) local sporting goods stores and gun stores (display mounts and leave cards--offer to mount employees' trophies at a discount for them allowing you to place cards and displays); 4) meat processing plants; 5) sportsmen shows; 6) free google listings and other online listings for free; 7) sponsor a big buck contest through a local sporting goods store where people bring their mounts to you, you measure, and the top buck taken locally gets a discount or gets it free; 8) T-shirts and hats with your logo and number; 9) On the shirts you can have your picture with the slogan: "Come see a great rack at Susan Anderson's Taxidermy Shop!"
    That's all I got.

17. papagoose

papagoose papagoose and goslings

Yup agree boarhunter get your stuff noticed, got a call from the guy who does the local gun show/ flea market in Jan he wanted to know if I could bring some stuff and set up a booth got 4 mounts from that cost was 25 $ will be doing NWTF banquet they wanted some donations gave them 2 $50 gift certificates they called back and wanted 150 business cards to put on the place mats for the meal, turkey hunting starts here on sat. Also be original do cool stuff I have some antler plaques made in the state of MN the go like crazy. Also we all know that hunters have dirty minds get your rack done at Susan Anderson's shop is a good idea I had to laugh at that one!!!! No one will care if you are a female if you do good work good luck hope this helped .

18. jake7719

jake7719 Well-Known Member

24 X 18 sings printed with your business name and number. Got 100 of them off the internet they are yellow with black lettering. They cost me about $125.00. I nailed them to telephone poles with nails. the nails have a large plastic washer on them so the sign will not pull off the nail. Use a ladder to put them up high so people can't remove them. Best money I ever spent on advertising.
    Put the signs in good locations like busy intersections with stop lights good fishing and hunting spots.
    Check your locations to make sure that you are not in violation of any laws.
    The next best thing is cheap hunter orange caps. I give about 20 doz. away a year. The caps cost me $2.00 ea.
    Any time a customer comes in I ask how they found out about me, use this info to find out what is working and put your money into that.

19. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Put out good quality work, and your customers will do wonders to bring more people your way. Do not start the "business" until you are confident in your work. As good as word of mouth can be to help you, it can also hurt you greatly if you put out crappy work. Just my opinion.

20. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Enjoy what you do, put out a good product, charge a fair price for your work and don't try to be all things to all people. Work will start to come and your business will grow. The most consistent advice though would be to not quit your day job.....whatever it is.