1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

caulk & turkey breast feathers

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by full fan, Apr 19, 2013.

1. full fan

full fan New Member

Working on something to keep the caulk from finding a hole & getting all over the breast feathers.Looking at making a "bra" to go between the form & the skin. Any one got any better ideals, I just hate when you work on getting the breast all nice & go to shoot the caulk in & it goes to hell real fast. :mad: And I do sew all holes before hand.

2. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I think you need to have your caulk coming in contact with your breast skin and feathers. It gives you more control of the breast feathers, especially when shingling .

I really never have a problem with leaking caulk. I sew the bigger holes, but anything under a bb hole stays open.

I use clear silicone, so If I do have a leak it is an easy clean up.

3. Birds Only

Birds Only Member

Same here as Aaron. Never had problems with leaking caulk.

4. I like the white latex caulk because it takes three or four days to set up (that's when I work the feathers) and I use tissue for fish fins (slik span) and super glue gel to patch any small holes, but at the same time I make 1-inch sized cuts to insert the end of the caulk gun under the skin and I never sew them up just stick a piece of paper towel in the hole to plug it.

5. full fan

full fan New Member

I'm thinking he end of the tube is catching on the hole I've sewed & tearing it open

6. Droptine99

Droptine99 New Member

Mabe your skin is to tight against the body making it blow a hole when u shoot it. Just a thought, im still a rookie and its not happened to me yet.

7. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

Minimal "fussing" really helps with caulk. As little contact as possible.

Shoot it in, adjust the skin into position and "back comb" to get the quill ends "in the goo" and hands off. The more you mash and fondle it around the more it has a chance to get pushed out.

No hole sewing for me, I will pin the caulking slit, if convienent, or ignore if not. As long as it's not oozing back out.