1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lets talk shoes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Kyle Lakey, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

Figured I'd post this here since the mammal guys and gals are probably on their feet more than the birds and fishys. Now I know everyones feet are different but typically a certain brand like your feet better than others so what has everyone had good luck with? I'm in need of some new ones for the shop. I've tried dr scholls inserts but they have made it worse the couple times I tried the ones the machine said to use. Maybe this topics been posted before but I'm in the market for something comfy that will last.

My feet like Nike and Sketchers the best probably so anyone have any certain pairs that are comfy for being on your feet all day?

Might as well discuss other brands too. I'm sure there are plenty of other guys out there who could use some good shop shoes.

Oh and MP I don't need to know what you wear cuz I'm not gonna wear those lol ;) or the shorts

2. SWIFFY

SWIFFY Member

Im curious as to what people say. I have had some back problems in the past and now one thing I never chince on is quality footwear! Whats on your feet impacts the operation of your entire body. I have a pair of New Balance walking shoes in the shop and they work well for me. It seems that many of the mail carriers, etc. use them, and theyre on their feet a lot! If im out working for just a while and just slip on some rubber boots or something, I feel like I pay for it all day.

3. tails up

tails up New Member

These are a little fancy for shoes that will only end up really dirty but I used to buy only Nike Shocks and loved the crap out of them. Really comfortable to be in all day but lately I have moved to the Reebok Zigtech which I like even better than the shocks. Like I said though, they are a little fancy to get covered with blood and everything else but I can't beat the comfort.

4. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

This is a bit of a different answer, not the shoes, but...I have noticed that its really a combination of the floor and shoe choice. I found this when I poured the floor of my shop. That first year it killed me. But, after the winter and heat and drying, I had no further problems with my back or my legs. Yet certain shops I visit will kill me all over again. It seems like some concrete floors are worse than others, plus the moisture in them, regardless of the shoe choice. If I ever build another shop I am seriously thinking of using both concrete and wood.

Funny thing is, I had a pair of $200 plus redwing boots I got for hunting, but they were junk in that they fell apart fast. But because I was always in and out between the shop and the deer pen, i used to just slip those on alot. Surprisingly, they were really comfy and good on that floor. Go figure!

5. Someone posted on this a while back and he swore by the NewBalance 974 model from Cabelas

6. You might want to try one of those rubber mats. I have one in front of my mounting stand.

7. Running or walking shoes with lots of cushion help, but the biggest difference was when I found a bunch of excercise mats that interlock at a garage sale - that was the ticket. I put those in front of my workbenches and my feet and legs didn't bother me anymore.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

8. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

I have flat fleet so finding comfortable shoe's-Boots are a issue most times..i would go with the rubber mat's or similar to relieve the hard contact associated with cement.

9. zubba

zubba Active Member

I can't really recommend a pair of shoes as I wear crocks when I'm in the shop. I think they are comfy. Like Bruce, I put my mounting stand on one of those foam/rubber mats that you often see excersize equiptment on. No complaints here.

10. I use any good quality trainers with rubber sole + underfloor heating in the workshop.

11. tommy70

tommy70 New Member

Croc's ..great idea and very easy to clean also..will have to try a pair..

12. I have tried the rubber excercise mats and evertime there is moister in the air, I almost break my leg when they slide out from under me. I think Im gonna get a big rubber mat they use in horse trailers next...they seem to be heavy enough to stay put

13. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

I've got mats at my fleshing machine and skinning/sink area but as much as I move around from once place or another in the shop its tough be on them alot. Whole shop is tile or concrete with all infloor otherwise and I can't really use a rubber mat in the mounting room cuz I normally try and mount a couple deer at a time so move the stand back and forth infront of me and I usually spend most of the time in the chair except for sewing them up so hitting a mat in the chair all the time gets to be a pain. Wasn't a prob when I worked int he basement and my space was limited then I had a huge rubber cow mat I could role around on with the stand on it too but it doesn't work with the bigger space and having more room for everything.

I use to wear the shocks awhile back and never tried the newbalance so might have to look at those 2 again. Any other recomendations keep em coming. Price isn't to much of a concern at this point. Pretty much will only wear them around the shop anyways so should last a long time. Last pair I had was decent but they didnt last as long as I think they should have. Plus I need a pair that breaths well because my feet create moisture like crazy. Always damp and cold feet.

14. Merrell has a lot of good shoes. Some are kind of ugly, but comfortable.

15. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Red Wing work boots with orthotic inserts, on concrete floors.
    No problems except if I don't hydrate enough, I will get leg cramps at night.
    Guess I should drink more beer.

16. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Ugly as sin but by far the most comfortable work shoes I've worn. These are only 5 months old.
    I've worn all sorts of shoes. Lots of different Redwing shoes and boots in the shop. These have been the best. My shop has a concrete floor.
    [​IMG]

17. cflwrs

cflwrs Member

I have a rubber mat I can move as needed so that helps but I have had problems with my heel on one foot, I tried several different inserts and several different shoe, then I tried on a pair of ECCO Track II they are by far the best for me, I bought them last July and still going strong. A bit pricey at $230.00 but worth it for me.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A good chair. I set down all I can, why wear out your feet and spine?

19. Rubber mats from SAMs club I have everywhere I stand, plus the crocs in the summer = real comfy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. Matt

Matt Active Member

This is exactly why I walk around on a 10lb commercial pad and carpet everyday! Bare concrete will take it's toll on you sooner or later, even with the best shoes. I still where a good pair of Columbia hikers that have excellent support for long days. As far as support, the walkfit orthotics are really nice. I don't ever buy anything on those infomercials, but these really work!