1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Storing pheasants

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cowtown guy, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ok folks I'm looking for a little guidance here. I purchased 3 pheasants from a shooting preserve today and I am wondering what the best way would be to keep them until my supplies arrive.

If I skin them, how should I store them? Would it just be in 2 or 3 tightly wrapped bags? Better yet, should I skin them or just wait until my supplies arrive? They are still warm right now as I just walked in the door. I am assuming that they will skin out quite easily with few problems if I do them right away.

Thanks for any advise. I'm brand new to this stuff and they will be my first attempt at taxidermy. I'm pretty sure that I will make a few boo boo's so I was hoping to get some advise and try and cut down on the screw-ups.

2. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

You can go about it anyway you wish. It would be easier to skin them now if they are that fresh. You could then wash/rinse and freeze them. I put mine in a couple of plastic bags and freeze them until you are ready to mount them. You could also freeze the birds whole and work on them that way. Once they are thawed work the wings and legs to loosen them up and proceed to skin, etc.. Things will freezer burn over time so the longer they sit in your freezer, feet will dry out. Otherwise either way should present no problems. Good luck and enjoy the experience :)

3. Thanks. Ended up doing OK. Took way longer than I should have with it being the first time. I had to go back and rewatch a video segment or 2 as I was having difficulties. Only ended up with a few small cuts by the tail and the neck split at the back of the head.

Good thing is I can only get quicker I suppose.

4. RK

RK New Member

I have always put them whole into the leg of panty hose, this holds all of the feathers in place and then seal them welll in a plastic bag. I have kept them for several years with no problems.