1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Commercial division.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by John C, Apr 24, 2013.

1. I was talking with someone about shows. They said How about a commercial division (no ribbons Awarded) in place of an amateur division with ribbons.

The whole thought behind this is that the public does not know the difference in an amateur ribbon and Professional ribbon.

The only thing you would get in the commercial division is a detailed critique.

2. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I think that the Commercial Division thing is a good idea. However, just a critique might leave a sour spot with a lot of people. Instead, perhaps...

• A different style/color style of ribbon not similar to other awards/clearly stating it's a commercial entry
    • A printed certificate (similar to what you would get for an art show)
    • A small plaque clearly stating winning piece was a commercial entry

Those are just some ideas. I really do think that the commercial division has its place. It's a good spot for the up and comers and the people who aren't yet ready for the "pressure" of competing at a higher level, or just want to compete with the basic work that goes out the door everyday and not worry about flashlights shining into nostrils and having the number of folds on an anal pucker counted next to reference.

The person can still get their critique, but also walk away with something to show for their work.

3. Since most of the so called amateurs are already charging for their work. They really are Professional.

Liek the green honorable mention ribbons, everyone gets a green thats why some shows have done away with them. Trying to raise the standard and make people try harder!

4. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Amateur level should have an age limit. Can't be an award winning taxidermist without ribbons.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

They can buy a ribbon..... why not award them one since they are paying.

6. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Why is that.....

**Amateur level should have an age limit**

That is why there is a Youth Division.

Why is that?

Kerby...

7. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Amateur and youth should be one and the same. Not many pro entries don't receive ribbons if that is what they are looking for. How many "amateur" taxidermists get paid? Once you get paid for your work you are no longer an amateur. Maybe change it to a " I don't receive any compensation for my work division". Then they won't advertise as an "award winning taxidermist " with there first place amateur ribbon they get every year.

8. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

Personally, I don't compete for the ribbon, I compete to get the critique. Having "Layers" of divisions to compete in is really a good idea. When you are just starting out, you would not want to be overwhelmed with the amount of information on the critique if it were judged in the "Masters Division". On the other hand, what does someone doing "Masters" level work get out of competing in the Ametuer division? You get the most of the educational experience by competing in the division at which your work really belongs...Ribbons are just to make you feel good about yourself. A judge once told me he thought they should just leave boxes full of different ribbons at the exit to the showroom. As you take your mount home, just pick out whatever color ribbon you want.

9. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Riverland, how is a guy who is say 30 years old just getting into taxidermy supposed to compete in the youth division..???

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

10. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Ribbons are there to show at what level of accuracy the piece is at in its particular division. It also gives you a since of satisfaction to see a higher place ribbon on mount than you got the year before.There needs to be different divisions, youth ,commercial , pro and masters. Eliminate the amateur. A person needs to have different levels of achievement to strive for, a ladder to climb , so to speak. If all you got was a critique what would you have to shoot for next time, a better critique? How long to you think they would last going to shows where all you got was a critique? With the exception of a very few talented individuals ,most people start with low scores and work our way up.

11. mike g

mike g Active Member

Commercial Division is an asset to any show.

12. Nicely said Jerry! I am climbing the "ladder". It is nice to be able to look back and see how far we have come. My first year competing I got an honorable mention in the amatuer division, last year I took first place in the professional division. This gives me a sense of accomplishment when I look at the two ribbons together.

13. Riverland

Riverland New Member

What Jerry said. He is a little more refined than me ,I generally say what I think and don't worry about the toes that may get squashed.

14. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

Michigan has a "commercial division" with ribbons awarded. It's not judged as tight as the Professional Division and it's not a replacement for the Novice Division. I think it utilizes the 3 foot rule for judging........

15. Fred Vanderburgh

Fred Vanderburgh Member

Mike Adams from Vermont was the first person to have a Commercial Division at his Wildlife Art Show. At that time a good friend of his named Pete Lajoie was on the taxidermy board at New York State with me. Pete brought the idea to the board, and New York to this day still has a Commercial Division. The sprit of the division was to allow taxidermist that did not have time to compete to bring a customer piece to the show. The pieces were to be judged at ten feet with no flash lights and multiple ribbons, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, were given along with a Best of Show commercial ribbon . No critiques or scores were given and every judge that came to New York ended up liking the division and so it spread. No way was it to replace or compete with any other division, just good fun. Matter of fact most ribbons won in that division were given to the customer of the piece, what a marketing tool!

16. The jet

The jet New Member

This is the work you give to a customer.the people who pay most of us.i think it's a very Important class.

17. catman

catman Active Member

The only problem I see with the 10 foot rule is that many judges have gotten old and have lousy eyesight. I think you should try to read certain sized letters like the "eye" test. If you can read them at six feet and not eight, then you get to judge from six feet. Only joking, but who sees a real nice mount and will not want to break the 10 foot boundry?

18. Then why bother having a commercial division? Oh, I know, more money for the state association and no benefit to the taxidermist. It's all about learning and with out critique there is no learning.

19. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

There are critiques in the commercial division in Michigan which I agree with JF here. The other side of the coin demonstrates that the commercial division brings in more mounts for spectators to see and it brings in more money for the Association. The State associations can only survive with members proceeds ( less any sponsorships or contributions) and more money for the Association means more benefits for the members.
    If you take just the seminars for an example. The token amount a participant pays to learn from perhaps an ALL day seminar (eh RICK?...lol) with some of the most prominent taxidermists in the Industry falls far short of what the Instructor is worth and due. The balance HAS to come from the Association, and that.....yes, takes funds. The more money an Association can generate can only be viewed as a positive for everyone.......

20. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

Kansas also has a Commercial Division. It does score, ribbon and pay an entry fee, all of which are important. There are a lot of good takes to this thread. Tim