1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning and slippage

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by PsychoJr, Apr 24, 2013.

1. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

What the heck is going on? I followed the tanning instructions to a T and have had no problems with 2 raccoons and a deer, but 2 squirrels are ruined. Never had a problem just using borax. Kept the ph between 1-2 and properly neutralized. This is pissing me off to ruin 2 animals.

2. Did you salt them 1st and let them hang dry for a couple hrs. I've had foxes that I put right in the pickle years ago and they slipped on me so I started salting , drying them then into the pickle and haven't had the problem since.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So you tanned two coons and a deer and you thought you were an expert tanner? Slip happens. lol

4. PsychoJr

PsychoJr New Member

Nope, just thought it would slip for all of them if I had done something wrong.

5. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

If you're asking why, post your steps in detail. If you're just lementing, we all feel your pain. Lucky it was just squirrel and not something important and irreplacible.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Explain "to a T"...

X2 what boarhunter said

7. johnsm

johnsm New Member

i have never tanned one before felish them down good and use a dry tan on them you will never lose the hair again

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

No such thing as your so called dry tan. You still have raw skin, just air dried out.

9. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

I don't understand "felish them down good". What is that?

10. RTF

RTF Active Member

Are you stating you are using "Borax" for a tan? Also what do you mean you kept the pH between 1-2? During what process?