1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tumbler

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bufordbiggs, Apr 25, 2013.

1. I am just a part time taxidermist and don't do many birds can't really afford a $500 tumbler does anyone have any ideas on how to make a cheap tumbler or know where to get one?
    Thanks
    Ben Biggs

2. give it a search , here on the forums, and you will find many more topics ...and will see some home made tumblers that work just as nice as those you can buy from supliers ;)

3. luciengwin4

luciengwin4 Member

SE MS
    I found an old dryer that still turned and wasn't heating anymore, caulked up all the holed and put some sawdust in it. I think it may have cost me twenty bucks and it works just fine.

4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have a big plastic tub full of corn cob grit and I use my arms and hands to manipulate it around. It takes about 10 min. or so in conjunction with a blow drier to dry a grouse or pheasant. I've only done about 10 birds and don't want to spend the money on a tumbler unless I want to do birds in volume.

5. mcrib1981

mcrib1981 New Member

x2 on the manual tumbler... that what i use. i toss em' around by hand for 3 to 5 minutes

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

five gallon bucket with lid. Put some sawdust or corncob grit in it, throw your bird in it, put lid on and kick it around your yard . Two times around the house and you're good!

7. Ranger8292

Ranger8292 New Member

Old Ice Chest, Corn Grit. 10 minutes shaking like H-LL

8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

Here's my tumbler. It's a Tupperware tub with a lid and corn cob grit....

Attached Files:

9. X2
    I don't have a very high volume either, hand tumbling works just fine. I actually have been just giving them a spin in the washer to wring out most of the excess water.

10. I have an old propane dryer and it works great. Heat removed of course. i made a plexiglass backing to keep the grit in the tumbler. I put a bird in for about 10 minutes and it comes out dry and looking great.

11. Those rolling compost bins work really well too. The one Sears sells works great.

12. full fan

full fan New Member

manual tumbler here as well, don't get any damage to the wings this way

13. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Save the headache ... use a blowdryer.