1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

110 Year old Lynx mount still offers scientific value...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Apr 26, 2013.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/2013/04/24/edwardian-lynx-from-england/

[​IMG]

A neat little article. By today's standards, that cat is the kind we make fun of regularly on here, but it's scientific value is still strong. Who knows what the future holds. Maybe some of our specimens will one day be put under the microscope for studies like this.

The cool little part that piqued my interest was this line...

"We haven’t yet finished our investigation of the specimen’s history, but we’re confident at the moment that it does not contain any original bone. Bizarrely, the teeth in the mount, for example, are made from some sort of wax or resin."

So, artificial jawset being made 110 years ago and it looks pretty decent!

2. That jawset looks better than some of the junk from today.

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

At that point in time some teeth were made of porcelain all the way up into the 40's. Resin as we know it today wasn't around then.

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Correct ... but a product called celluloid was used to produce the earliest plastic type of jaw sets. It was brittle, and could not be handle roughly - I am obviously speaking from experience here. ;) ;D Don't know exactly when it was introduced, but the jaw sets I used in the late 1960's were made from it.

5. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Porcelain? That is pretty awesome. I wonder if there are any mounts still existing using it.

John, at one point I think I may have had one of those celluloid jawsets. In the early 90s when I first started doing taxidermy, I had a box of miscellaneous old supplies given to me by another taxidermist who had been in the business for decades. Among the bird eyes on wires, "finishing wax," bags of undecipherable white powders and some football looking white Styrofoam bird bodies was a fox jawset made from what I thought at the time to be maybe wax or something. I eventually used it in a gray fox shoulder mount but it wasn't all that pretty looking.

6. double barrel

double barrel New Member

John, are you 110 years old? LOL! As a collector of antique fishing tackle, I think celluoid came out in the thirties, maybe a little earlier. Heddon used to make "Vamps" and other lures from this early plastic, which contained animal fat, or so I read somewhere. It was unstable and would break down and crack, so they changed the formula. Before that the lures were made of wood. Another version was Tenite.

We laugh at a mount like that done today and call them names. I think it took more talent and definately more work to prduce a mount back then than it does today. WE , so called Artists, put OUR noses up in the air and let OUR heads swell up because WE can mount so good when most of the WORK has been done for US, by OTHER ARTISTS who have more talent than US.

This was a good post Adam, thanks. I'd like to have that 110 yr. old kitty kat.

7. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Celluloid goes a lot further back than the 1930's. La Maison Deyrolle used this "plastic like" material in models of all sorts of anatomical props as early as the 1890's. Our museum bought a series of really cool models of human bodies, viper snake heads (about 10 inches across), a bird skull about a foot long, etc. Frederic Webster also used the material when recreating the leg of a couple mounts of flamingos when he used a threaded rod to support mounts standing on one leg. He was able to tint the material to give it translucence as you might see in living material.

Also see http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php?topic=305490.0

8. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Double Barrel
    I have a dozen Herter's "tenite" Greater Scaup decoys. We put the hurt on the "bluebills" with them when I was young.
    Adam
    I have some old sets of porcelain teeth that I bought at the M J Hoffman Studio when I visited there. If I remember it was at the other end of the Holland Tunnel ?