1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Buck with a little Michael P. style

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Andrew L., Apr 27, 2013.

1. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

This buck had half of his brisket cut off, so I had to improvise. ;D First time doing this kind of alteration. I would have thrown that cape in the trash if it wasnt for Michael's DVD, which is a great DVD. Well worth the money.

[​IMG]

2. Nick7

Nick7 New Member

I think you did a very good job!!

3. silverbuck

silverbuck New Member

That is awesome !!!!

4. Dangitboy

Dangitboy Member

Nice save! I have a couple I might have to try that on coming up. Both from the same customer, imagine that. Some people just don't need knives in their hands.

5. bwilke

bwilke Member

Thats odd..........I had to do the same thing with a blacktail a customer cut to short in the field. Looks great!

6. Nice Job

7. Slate Run

Slate Run Member

Must be something in the air I just did a similar save on one myself pretty much like the one in this post only opposite side

8. Harvestmoontaxi

Harvestmoontaxi Lake of the woods walleyes

Nice work. When possible I like to get the whole hide off an animal then sew the brisket back together.

9. verne

verne Well-Known Member

Very nice JOB . ;) ;D

10. roonie

roonie Member

Andrew....i like what you've done there. By adding the branch you helped the non wildlife observers to NOT think the deer has tumors or breasts. Very nice looking mount too.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Good coverup! :)

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not trying to be the ogre, but I can't help being honest here. Perhaps you'd have been better off to use a contrasting color and a more "jagged" looking diorama. It IS a great save and a nice job, but when I look at the deer, I see two balls on its chest. I've seen deer with tumors that looked like that. Pick a slate gray with a granite appearance or even shale with raw edges to break up the continuity . Then put moss or lichens or even pines growing from the rocks and you eliminate that first shocking glance.

13. mimes

mimes Member

I did two cape saves exactly like that about 2 years ago......looked good, but the customer brought them back because he wanted full capes. He did pay for two replacement capes as well as two new mounts because he was the one that hacked up the capes to start with and told me to "do what I could" I was a little disappointed he did not stay with the rocks, but hey........I got paid twice!

14. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Thank you everyone!

George, I never really thought about that. I will definitely be thinking about it on the next one though. I don't mind a good critique, because it can only help me do better.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

15. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Sounds like it worked out good for you. ;)

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I gotta agree, a little contrast and more jagged edges....... it breaks it up.

17. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

18. bwilke

bwilke Member

Here's a pic of the blacktail i did. Customer cut one side of the brisket off and some of the shoulder. Oh well, guess thats what happens when you are caping it near dark in grizzley country

[​IMG]

19. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member