1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Guess what this is?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by STARCHILD69, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Dennis H and Dennis B dont bother, I know you know.

Heres a pretty little .................. I mounted the other day, anyone know what it is??

Cam

Attached Files:

2. buckmasters243

buckmasters243 Active Member

Roe Deer?

3. quest

quest Member

Utah
    It looks like a fat Mule deer.

4. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Muntjac????

5. Nobody is close yet ;)

6. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Chinese water deer?

7. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

8. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

9. bmdakk

Hog deer?

10. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

He was talking to me on facebook.. sent me a pic and the question I had it in 2 seconds...HE HE LOL

11. Well done Bryan,

Hog Deer!

Cam
    Down Under

12. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

I was going to say either water deer or hog deer. Way too pudgy to be a roe deer. Cute little mount!

13. They do look a bit like Chinese water deer. There is a cape for sale in the sale page.

14. bmdakk

Woo Hoo!!!!!!! I didnt think it was a water deer, it doesnt have the cartoony face dimensions of the water deer. Good looking Mount.

15. And here is her partner, going to be mounted together like this

Cam
    Down Under

Attached Files:

16. bmdakk

Sweet!!!!!

17. zmia

zmia ozzie, ozzie, ozzie........

They look fantastic cam, just a question, did you do the dorsal cuts on those or did the customer? I got one to do for a customer and I got to cut it myself and went for the belly instead as I noticed that the sewing on the dorsal cuts are more visible as these guys as they don't have thick hair. Noticed this in your photos. What's your thoughts?

18. Hi, the deer were gutted with a short incision, and then skun up the back of each leg from the hock to the armpit, then on the front end straight across to the other leg. On the back end, the gutting cut was extended to just below the vent, where the leg cuts met, just also just below the vent.
    Basically, I skun it like I would a fox. The only cuts in the neck were long enough to get the skulls out, and I closed them with a hidden stitch.
    When I mount Hoggies like this, Ive made up an A-frame so I can tip them upside down and work from the hock end of the leg back down to the body. Lots easier than bending for hours!
    Dorsal incisions work great if the deer is going to be mounted on the wall and the cuts can be hidden, or up high enough not to be seen. On the floor mounts on these light skinned deer is too hard to hide everything.
    One thing though with the tubed neck, make sure the tanner thins it enough to get some good stretch, or you might struggle to get it onto the form.
    Good luck, they are fun to do
    Cam

19. zmia

zmia ozzie, ozzie, ozzie........

Thanks for the detailed post buddy, much appreciated.

20. IntoTheWild

IntoTheWild New Member

I could have sworn it was an albino raccooon!!!!