1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Famous Taxidermy Horses..

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Apr 30, 2013.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

2. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

great stuff!!!!!!

3. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I loved seeing the process on Comanche - that mount must be incredibly heavy

Thanks for sharing!

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Not so surprising on CNN, considering Taxidermy is so much in the public eye these days, what with the newest books that have been written and the fact those authors have been interviewed on both NPR and CNN. Then with the restoration work being done by George Dante for the AMNH in New York, and the morning show coverage that got ... it's not surprising at all. In fact it's very refreshing! ;)

5. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Dale Evans horse was recently owned by my lifelong friend and taxidermist Al Belanger from Andover , Ma. It was a great mounting job and held up through the years VERY good. He has just sold it to the person that owns Trigger and Bullet Roy's dog.

6. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yes! My wife and I saw Al on an episode of 'American Pickers', when Frank and Mike went to his place to buy "some Taxidermy", and Al showed them Buttermilk, and explained that the mount was for sale. ;) They ended up buying a reproduction African Elephant head for some singer ... Jack White .... whoever the hell he's supposed to be. :p

At any rate, nice to hear Buttermilk will be reunited with Trigger and Bullet! They belong together!

7. Museum Man

a good lesson for all the newbies on here......good work stands the test of time!!

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Museum Man be careful there. Comanche was repaired many times and remounted. George had to refurbish the work at the AMNH. The old stuff at the Smithsonian is hideous. Nothing lasts forever.

Where is Misty of Chincoteague? LOL

9. Museum Man

hey George, 80 to hundred years is a pretty good stretch...Comanche and the work at the amnh were not remounted or reworked after 30 or so years....... even a car needs to be washed and waxed from time to time....under normal circumstances, something mounted top notch should last a long time....that's all I ment...

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I have some things mounted almost 50 years ago. They look like they did when I mounted them, but trust me, they NEED to be remounted. LOL. I agree with you.

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Just an FYI. The man shown working on Comanche is Terry Brown of Museum Professionals. Some of you "old timers" may recognize the name. He did very well in taxidermy competitions back in the mid 80s, before a private museum company snapped him up to do diorama and restoration work in museums around the world. He has owned his own company since 1997. Check out his site and you'll find a before/after picture of some of the work he did on Comanche.

12. Charles Gerhardt

Charles Gerhardt New Member

These two guys just drooped in to check on the quality of her work and to make and pay for prearranged services for a later date

Attached Files: