1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thaw time for gamebirds

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Cowtown guy, May 1, 2013.

1. Just a quick question. I have a few pheasants frozen and was wondering how long is an average time to let them thaw before skinning?
    I have an 8-5 job so I was wondering if that is too long and may lead to losing feathers.
    I tried the search function and it didn't really give me what I was after.
    Thanks.

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Take them out to thaw before you go to work, and skin after work or after supper in the evening.

3. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

You could even begin to thaw the night before, and skin the next night. Not a big deal

4. Thanks folks.

5. tviper56

tviper56 Active Member

I agree with T. 24 hours and your fingers will still feel frostbit. I prefer them being a little cold to frozen though as the skin pulls from the meat easier for me that way. Be sure and use plenty of Borax either way! Tim

6. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I've had pheasnts after 24 hrs still pretty stiff and had to pry their legs open to start an incision. I agree with tviper and I'll add wear some gloves to help with cold fingers. I keep isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle to wet the feathers and skin as I work. It wets the feathers nice and takes the slime away and helps keep the skin from sticking. Plus, it keeps bacteria at bay!